Thread: Coloring over your dyed red hair

Default Coloring over your dyed red hair

I just dyed my hair red and is already thinking about what my next hair color is going to be. Im thinking of a nice chocolate brown color and is wondering if I needed to get rid of my red dyed hair first or I could just color over it? Im gonna wait until the end of the year to re color it so Im thinking that most of my red hair would be faded. Im going to do more research on this but is wondering if any of you ladies and gents would know anything about it.

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Coloring over your dyed red hair

When I used to use red chemical dyes, they did fade quite fast. So If you're not coloring again until the end of the year, it might not be a problem to just dye over.
    There are different products that are focused on getting chemical dyes out. I think one of them is Color Oops? That might help when you want to get the last bit of red out.
    I hope this helped. I'm not really experienced in this, except for a couple times I dyed over myself. Good luck!
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Length
    13/23/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I agree with AnneAdeline.

Red fades quickly but is very difficult to completely remove (doesn't make much sense, I know). This would be a problem if you wanted to go blonde, but a chocolate brown should cover things fine. Just let your hair fade out as much as possible. Red usually fades a lot in just one month, so waiting until the end of the year should have really faded things. Color Oops can be a little harsh on the hair, I'd just let things fade and then do the brown on top!

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I have been using Clairol Natural Instincts in Medium Ash brown. I first used it about a year ago to cover red and blonde highlights, and it works pretty well and comes out as a chocolate brown. Covered everything just fine.

Problem is, now I find myself having to use natural instincts every few months because the sun (or something?) tends to turn the chocolate brown color a rusty red over time.

So... yeah Good luck!

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah4983 View Post
    I have been using Clairol Natural Instincts in Medium Ash brown. I first used it about a year ago to cover red and blonde highlights, and it works pretty well and comes out as a chocolate brown. Covered everything just fine.
    Same here. I even used the same color. It does get rusty, but it works.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Thanks so much for the advice ladies...I just wasnt sure how my hair would turn out if I colored it chocolate brown. In the past I have used Color Oops and that brand didnt give me results like what Color fix did so when I colored it a chocolate brown my hair would turn black again. I'm just afraid that this could happen again. I will definitely try the medium ash brown from Clairol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]