Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red hair, dye vs. Henna?

Length
    SL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Default Red hair, dye vs. Henna?

I loved having my long red hair. Originally it was hennaed a red-auburn, and bright fire engine red in the sun. I wanted my sunlit hair to to the colour of my hair all the time, which led me to chemical dyes. My hair is naturally a dark auburn, but more of a dark mousy brown than anything. This meant chemical dyes never got me the colour I wanted, no matter how light or bright of a red I chose. My hair now (2 henna applications on virgin dark mousy brown hair) with flash:

without flash:

and the chemical red I loved, but was a bit obnoxious. my biggest complaint about this was that I needed to bleach my hair to accomplish it. This is no flash, but a very bright room (brighter than the above picture):

(Sorry if these pictures are too large, I shrunk them down once already.)

Now, the red I'm looking for, without flash, but a well lit room is:

I would like to do this with henna. I heard that honey lightening may help to lighten my hair. I don't know though if it would be possible to honey lighten and use henna to achieve what I want...:

Any ideas? Open to suggestions on how to achieve this (hopefully with minimum damage)
    Last edited by klcqtee; June 21st, 2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: broken picture link

Default Re: Red hair, dye vs. Henna?

That's about how dark one of my test pieces came out that was nearly pure henna - but that is starting with very fine blonde hair. :P and i didn't want that color at all. I think it's gorgeous, it would just look bad on me.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions - other than that I think it *can* be achieved with henna - because one of my first tests is that dark rich red... But of course as you know you'd need lighter hair.

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I have dark, mousy-occasionally-auburnish hair too, and would love to have hair coloured like that bottom photo. Unfortunately, I can't achieve that with henna alone, my hair is too dark. You need to be starting off with very light brown/dark blonde hair to achieve that colour with henna alone, I think.

I've had some success with honey lightening, and you should definitely check out the honey lightening thread. I've also started to use half cassia/half henna, which is helping keep my hair away from burgundy.

My signature pic shows my henna/cassia colour (applied after many honey treatments) in a darkish place, this first pic shows my hair by a sunny window.

I gave up on achieving my "dream" colour - it would have required peroxide, maybe bleach. I've found a way to achieve a pretty colour (not the "dream" colour, but a nice one) - because I decided long hair and natural dyes were my highest priorities.

So yes, try honey treatments, but be aware that there are limitations to what you can achieve with henna. The possible colours depend on your natural hair colour, which may be too dark to achieve the colour you really want.

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

You might find some color advice in Nightshade's henna journal.. if I remember correctly your color is a bit close to hers..

However, I found that with my hair.. the only way I could achieve the color of the photo you posted was with chemical dye, or henna over bleach, so I stuck with the chemical dye. Good luck!! Sorry I couldn't be more help

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

You might find some color advice in Nightshade's henna journal.. if I remember correctly your color is a bit close to hers..

However, I found that with my hair.. the only way I could achieve the color of the photo you posted was with chemical dye, or henna over bleach, so I stuck with the chemical dye. Good luck!! Sorry I couldn't be more help

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Honey lightening is a good start but a bit slow sometimes. Less harsh than straight bleach is hydrogen peroxide that can be used to lighten hair. It's also reported to be a good henna remover, much better than bleach. Check out Nightshade's Sun-in henna removal thread, she documented it well with pics.
    When using peroxide, you'll need heat... I also don't know what it might do on old chemical dye. Have you dyed your hair blackish?
    At true tailbone!

has left the building
    Length
    short/22/waist

Quote Originally Posted by Nat242 View Post
    I have dark, mousy-occasionally-auburnish hair too, and would love to have hair coloured like that bottom photo. Unfortunately, I can't achieve that with henna alone, my hair is too dark. You need to be starting off with very light brown/dark blonde hair to achieve that colour with henna alone, I think.

I've had some success with honey lightening, and you should definitely check out the honey lightening thread. I've also started to use half cassia/half henna, which is helping keep my hair away from burgundy.

My signature pic shows my henna/cassia colour (applied after many honey treatments) in a darkish place, this first pic shows my hair by a sunny window.

I gave up on achieving my "dream" colour - it would have required peroxide, maybe bleach. I've found a way to achieve a pretty colour (not the "dream" colour, but a nice one) - because I decided long hair and natural dyes were my highest priorities.

So yes, try honey treatments, but be aware that there are limitations to what you can achieve with henna. The possible colours depend on your natural hair colour, which may be too dark to achieve the colour you really want.

Totally unrelated, but from the back, we are sisters!!! We have similar hair, and that's exactly how I dress!

Except of course, you look much better from that angle
    [SIGP

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hennaphile View Post
    Totally unrelated, but from the back, we are sisters!!! We have similar hair, and that's exactly how I dress!

Except of course, you look much better from that angle
    YAY SISTER!!! Though I must confess, I'm in long skirts about 65-70% of the time. I'm flattered that you think we have similar hair

Length
    .125/17.5/30
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Is it possible to use household peroxide over indigo? I have heard the hair-melting horror stories about bleach and indigo but was wondering if anyone has ever had any luck with the household kind?.

Type
    3a/F/M/ii

NEVER use Clorox bleach in your hair. it will fall out.