Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oiling Questions

Default Oiling Questions

Okay so I bought some EVOO at the store yesterday, and it works so well, my hair feels so much more soft, and moist. I definitely won't be using the soybean oil that I tried, it just coats my hair.

The Questions

How much should I be using?
    I may have used a tad to much because my hair was oily until I washed it out.

Does having cones in my hair still (I never clarified after starting my cone free routine) affect the amount of moisture my hair can soak up from the evoo?

Thanks a bunch!

has left the building
    Length
    short/22/waist

Default Re: Oiling Questions

1. Depends. Your hair's condition and type may affect how much it soaks up. For heavy oilings, you would use more, and vice versa. I use about a teaspoon, rub it between my palms, and lightly pet it onto my hair. You can always add more, but it's harder to get it out once it's on ( I hate the feeling of oily hair). Find out what works best for you

2. Maybe, it seems logical, but I guess you have to find out?

[SIGP

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

The Questions -

How much should I be using? Im not of much help with EVOO since i only have luck with it for heavy oilings. But 2 drops of grapeseed oil a day is plenty to get rid of my tangles and get nice smooth sniny (non-greasy) hair.

Does having cones in my hair still (I never clarified after starting my cone free routine) affect the amount of moisture my hair can soak up from the evoo? I would calirify i dont trust cones after the experiances ive had. I cant use sulfates anymore and i dont want to wash everyday so im no cone as well. I mean their purpose is to coat so i say beter safe than sorry.

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

1.) Its kind of a trial and error thing with oiling.. My hair takes a lot more evoo than coconut oil but both work about the same for me.. I use about the size of a dime for daytime and about the size of a quarter if night oiling.. my hair is pretty dry since I chemically dye it so it eats it up. I start from the ends and work up towards the root. I have never had any trouble removing heavy oil from my hair but you might find the best results doing that at night (if you shower in the AM) or on a weekend/day where you don't have to be somewhere in the AM... my hair likes heavy oil so I slather it on every chance I get but every one's hair is different so its truly only trial and error

2.) I would clarify just to remove any build up, heavy oil, and then just continue your usual routine in the AM.. that way you are sure your hair is absorbing some of the oil and you can actually see what kind of condition you are looking at without silicones sleeking the hair shaft.

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

How long have you been cone free? If it's been a month or so and you use shampoo or soap bars, you should be fine. For EVOO I used about a tablespoon, maybe a teaspoon in a brush, but I also would use it on my skin and use whatever was left over on my hands after applying it to my skin. Given that I would do that several times daily, at least a teaspoon was used. However, I have VERY dry hair, and most people for a daily oiling only need a few drops. For a deep oiling, just oil your hair till it looks wet and feels damp/coated in grease.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

1. It depends. You can probably get away with more and CWC it out. Conditioner lifts a TON of oil out of my hair; I'm talking PALM FULLS. XD; I over oil a lot.

2. That's a little tricky. Normally, it's recommended, however, not even cones can stick to hair forever, I think. I would clarify, but I somehow doubt that they'll cause a problem for the time being.

But if you want to make sure cone-free is working for you, I would clarify.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

I also have a, ahem, tendency to over oil. If you want to wear your hair out, the amount of oil depends on the style. Updos and braids can take more oil and still look good. Down styles and half ups are much more prone to that 'overoiled' look.

I like overoiling before wash day. It started out as a mistake, but now it's part of my own personal haircare ritual.

I think I read that cones coat the hairshaft, so it seems logical to me that they might prevent absorption of oil. Clarifying couldn't hurt, but if you've been cone free for a while, especially if your hair is slurping up the oil as you say, the cones may already be more or less out of your system.

HK

Quote Originally Posted by Fractalsofhair View Post
    How long have you been cone free?
    I've been cone free for about a week...

Length
    15"/14"/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I use coconut oil (I've tried several different oils, and coconut is my favorite!), and I use less than I think I need. If it's not enough I can add more. My hair is very fine and thin, so a tiny bit of oil goes a long way. I usually end up using about a drop of coconut oil for light post-wash oilings, and about a teaspoon for deep treatment heavy oilings.

I dip my finger into the jar of oil and rup it over my palms. If my palms/fingers are just barely coated with oil enough to make the skin shiny, that's perfect. Any more than that and my hair will end up being an oil slick until the next wash.

Hope this helps!
    June 2009 length shot:

My goal is to be at waist length by my 19th birthday in 2011!

Length
    10 in/35 in/47in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Alright ladies, now what am I doing wrong? I started oiling, shortly after joining this site. Olive oil and occasionally cocoa butter and coconut oil. I us CO then LIGHTLY oil the the lengths. Even when I pull my hair up for the day the top of my hair is so oily that it's clumping. Not an attractive look. I never had a problem before, so I figure I MUST be doing something wrong. I CO'd today and didn't put ANYTHING on. When my hair dried it was friz city. This is really frustrating to me. It seems when I was just letting my hair go and not doing anything extra like oiling and whatnot, my hair was doing well, now it's kinda wild and I don't know what it's going to do next...
    Can anyone help me? Yes I bleach, yes I dye, but I've never had this problem before. Please if anyone can give me some insight. I would greatly appreciate it...

My Etsy shop!