Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlice bites

Length
    0.5/53/60+
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Question Headlice bites

I have unfortunately caught lice from DD. I found a large one, so I did a chemical treatment to kill everything quickly and since then I'm keeping my hair well oiled and combing regularly. The total number of lice I have combed out is 4 - the big one, and 3 miniscule ones. While I hope I got the infestation at the beginning fine-combing thick calf-length hair gives the lice plenty of time to get away from the comb and my head itches horribly, so I'd like to know if anyone knows

- do lice have some kind of chemical in their saliva which makes the bite itch afterwards or does it only itch when you are bitten?
    - how long does the itching last after the lice are dead/removed from the hair?

I'm also prepared to accept the fact that the itching is at least partially due to the fact my scalp is massively oversaturated with oil, and that the comb has scratched my scalp but I'm going to carry on with the oiling and combing for another week just to make sure I've really got rid of them.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Headlice bites

I'm no expert in the anatomy of the louse, but I'd guess that yes, there would be something that makes it continue itching after the bite. (Isn't that just true of all bloodsucking insects?) Also, the chemical treatment might be causing you to itch for several days afterward.

Following the chemical treatment, heavy oiling should work in suffocating the rest of them (if there are any). Look up their life cycle; oiling doesn't suffocate the eggs, so that should give you an indication of how long you'd need to continue for.

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Gosh I am sorry about the lice... that is awful.

I did a bit of research and apparently the itching is from the body having an allergic reaction to the lice bites.

I know their was a thread on lice a while back I'll go see if I can find it.

ETA: Here is what I found, I hope some of the info will help you.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...highlight=lice
    Last edited by EvaSimone; June 5th, 2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: add link

Length
    24/24/38
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I've had headlice 12 times, and they lay their eggs every three days and they are born pregnant. So if you missed one tiny egg, you will get an infestation again.
    They're nasty little things! When I used to get them my Mam would use a family sized bottle of the lice removal stuff and then comb through my hair the day after with leave in conditioner and a lice comb.
    This seemed to work for me! Hope you get rid of them, I know how horrible they are.

Length
    CHIN/APL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

Oh how horrible. I hope you feel better soon.

The saliva in lice is numbing but, unfortunately after it wears off it cause an allergic reaction which presents itself in the form of itching. Not until the small wounds heal will you feel better. Maybe 1-2 weeks?

Try to oil your scalp with a mixture of your regular oil and tea tree EO. These EO's work as well :
    lavender
    eucalyptus
    rosemary
    peppermint

I would think 5-10 drops is sufficient. And, comb the heck out of your hair!

I hope you are also washing pillowcases, pillow coverings, bedding, clothing and combs and brushes on a regular basis throughout this ordeal. VERY HOT WATER, too!

For a while you will be daily washing stuff.

This includes towels!!!

All combs/brushes should be freshly cleaned, and not allowed to sit overnight and used the next day again without cleaning.

DO NOT SHARE COMBING TOOLS, nor grooming tools.

Apparently lice like a really clean head of hair!!

heidi w.
    Last edited by heidi w.; June 5th, 2009 at 08:33 AM.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

You can do a henna,that helps to kill those buggers. Its good to add neem powder to the henna mix and just let that sit on your scalp for few hours. It should kill them just have to pick the eggs out.

HOW TO DISINFECT A COMB

You can wash the comb using a nail scrub brush and some of your shampoo. Then you can place this comb, if entirely plastic, on the upper tier of a dishwasher. The heat process is a type of disinfectant.

No dishwasher?
    You can make a concoction of rubbing alcohol and water and spritz on the comb, or apply on a plastic comb straight rubbing alcohol with a cotton ball. Then rinse in warm water, and dry with a soft cloth, or air dry.

TIP: on combs of all types, buildup can occur between the teeth of the comb, especially at the bridge and we may not even see it. Use a toothpick to glide along the inside of each tooth and at the bridge to remove any built up gunk. Then clean, THEN disinfect.

The latter part, spritzing with rubbing alcohol/water solution....this can be done on wooden combs. Wooden combs can be washed if IMMEDIATELY DRIED VERY WELL with a cloth. Dry IMMEDIATELY the rubbing alcohol solution, and rinse.

Brushes, depending on the design and materials may possibly be ok on that upper tier of the dishwasher.

You can lift and loosen hairs and crud with a comb or pick, or even fingers. Then use BAKING SODA to scrub between the bristles with water. Rinse. Then use the same disinfectant, and rinse and press firmly with a cloth to dry, and set in a windowsill to finish air drying.

For BBBs you can do the above (allowing the bristles to be turned upside down in a pool of water since many handles & backs are wood)--sit in the solution, and then scrub with a nail brush. Then pat dry with a towel, pressing hard into the bristles. THEN set in windowsill to complete drying. Once COMPLETELY DRY re-oil the bristles with the teensiest amount of oil rubbed between your palms to produce a sheen only seen if hand is tilted in the light. Then press hard the heel of the hand into the bristles, and work in a bit of oil. Don't need much at all!!!!

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    You can do a henna,that helps to kill those buggers. Its good to add neem powder to the henna mix and just let that sit on your scalp for few hours. It should kill them just have to pick the eggs out.
    While Henna (and Neem Powder) may well solve the lice problem, Henna, at least, also is a coloring process of the hair, as I'm sure you recognize. So this is not merely a solution to a problem of lice.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Like the others have said, the itching continues after the lice have been removed. I only had them once as a child, so I don't remember how long afterward it lasts. If it is an allergic reaction, as Eva Simone states, I'd expect the itching to last at least a few days to a week or so following the lice removal. Furthermore, you could be itching from the chemical you applied to your head. (Heck, henna makes my head itch!)

I'd expect it to be a lot like mosquito bites. If yours only itch for a day or two, I'd expect the same thing for lice. If they turn huge and purple and last for 3 weeks like they do on DH, I'd expect lice bites to as well. But that's my guess, not necessarily true.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!