Thread: Saffron hair dye?

Length
    31/Class/term

Default Saffron hair dye?

Can it be done? Should it? Has anyone done a swatch test?

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I presume it could be done on light hair....but you would probably need to remortgage your house to afford to use it!
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    24/28/33.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I've test stranded with tumeric. Even on my brownish color, way too brassy. She nightshade tumeric, Saffron is very fugitive, so anything may not last. Tryed saffron tea in my Speciality henna mixed. Water looked too orange, but didnt see much difference. Always test strand.
    [URL="http://Hair1.jpg"][SIGPIC]

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

It takes almost 100 grams of henna to dye my hair, so that's about 3.5 ounces. Saffron is about USD $45 an ounce. $157.50.

Well, there are probably some salons around that charge that for a color process. But on the other hand, no one might have been willing to shell out for testing samples. When they could just eat it!

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I once tried to dye my hair with saffron, I can't remember how I did it but I think it was the liquid in a henna mix or a rinse.It didn't work, at all But it did smell very good

Length
    31/Class/term

I think when saffron is used as a dye it's small amounts dissolved in water, like when you cook. Not like making henna mud, ha ha! I was curious about the color that might be obtained, how long it would last, and if it could be used to "push" a henna mix into golden reds.

Length
    mback/tbone/clssc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I think saffron would turn light hair bright yellow Not really a nice look I think.
    Being who you are is the ultimate compliment to yourself ~ Secretmidnight
    My album

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I remember learning that King Henry VIII outlawed the use of saffron for dyeing hair because he wanted to keep it all to himself.

I buy saffron once a year to use in holiday baking because it's so unbelievably expensive. They keep it locked up instead of on the spice rack at the grocery store. I once bought a bag of cheap saffron threads, though. When I added them to bread dough, it turned a shade of orange.

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I think when saffron is used as a dye it's small amounts dissolved in water, like when you cook.
    Oh! Hahaha!

I don't think it would shift henna much, unless we're talking about very tiny amounts of henna. I also don't know whether it would stay in or not.

Saffron is pretty orangish and brassy of a yellow to begin with. Saffron rice does not look too different to me, than the results of a very dilute henna gloss (or largely demised straight henna) on mohair.