Page 1 of 507 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbest hair comments you've received?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dumbest hair comments you've received?

What are some of the stupidest things people have said to you about your hair?

There's the usual, "you have long hair!" which always makes me want to whip around in surprise and look at it and say "I do?? Holy crap, I didn't know!" I never know what to say to it, because I'm never sure if it's just an observation or if it's supposed to be a compliment.

Then I sometimes get, "is that your real hair?" Nope, I go around snipping strands off other people. (I always say that if I ever got cancer and had to have chemo, I'd shave my head before my hair fell out on its own, make myself a wig, and go around in that and then when people say "is that your real hair?" I could say, "sorta--it's mine, but it's not attached...")

And my all-time favorite is, "who braids your hair for you?" or "do you braid your own hair?" (I wear my hair braided almost constantly; usually one but sometimes two). And if that's not weird enough, when I tell them I braid it, they act all incredulous. It's only a braid, for heaven's sake! You'd think it was rocket science from the way people react. I usually just tell them, "who else is going to braid it for me?" (do they think I have a maid??) and sometimes, "well, I've been doing it for years, so I'm sort of used to it by now." (duh)
    Last edited by Kat; February 6th, 2019 at 02:25 PM.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Re: Dumbest hair comments you've received?

I think my very favorite hair comment was from a man who I'd worked with every day for over a year and one day he walked into my office when my hair was loose (wash day). He stopped dead in his tracks and said "Whoa!! Where the f*&% did you get all that hair?!?"

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    pixie/hip/term

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    I think my very favorite hair comment was from a man who I'd worked with every day for over a year and one day he walked into my office when my hair was loose (wash day). He stopped dead in his tracks and said "Whoa!! Where the f*&% did you get all that hair?!?"
    I found it behind the couch!

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I struggle with hairloss. I used to have a very thin patch at the front of my head, right in the middle(it has since gotten somewhat better).

My boss was giving me the once over one day, and proclaims loudly, "You've got a bald spot, you know!"

I still can't figure out why he thought it would be a good idea to yell that out. As if I never looked in the mirror! Of course I knew I had a bald spot.
    I work in a very busy restaurant with an open kitchen, where everyone hears everything.
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'm not bothered by people stating the obvious, not about my hair anyway. If somebody says "your hair is long," I take it as a positive. This is how I want it, and somebody else noticed. Hooray! However, if somebody were to say to me "Your hind-end is fat," I'd be so insulted, even though it's true.

Length
    Clsc/61/More!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I'm not bothered by people stating the obvious, not about my hair anyway. If somebody says "your hair is long," I take it as a positive. This is how I want it, and somebody else noticed. Hooray! However, if somebody were to say to me "Your hind-end is fat," I'd be so insulted, even though it's true.
    That's true, but if someone came up to me and said "You have a hind-end," my reaction would probably be bzuh? It really does depend on the tone of voice with the "You have really long hair" comments, but it seems like people should say something aside from the obvious, like, "you have really beautiful long hair," or "Your hair looks like you cut off a horse's tail and glued it to your head." At least that would be less awkward than stating the obvious.

Also, not really a stupid thing someone said to me, but once I was at the dentist with my hair down, and I had it sort of draped over the edge of the chair, and he rolled on it with his wheely dentist chair a couple times before I could frantically gesture that something was wrong.

Maria

Length
    16"/33/????
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

And I have another!
    These all seem to happen at work. My sister(2a long and shiny) came to see me at work, and and older man customer said, "Oh, was that your sister? I can see who got the good hair in the family!"
    Ouch! I wanted to hide my head! LOL

Seems as though a lot of older men feel the need state the obvious regardless of how it sounds!
    ​Babyfine and superrrrr thin. Growing long anyway!
    Lady Kan-Yu, Lawspeaker of Heaven and Earth in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    And I have another!
    These all seem to happen at work. My sister(2a long and shiny) came to see me at work, and and older man customer said, "Oh, was that your sister? I can see who got the good hair in the family!"
    Ouch! I wanted to hide my head! LOL

Seems as though a lot of older men feel the need state the obvious regardless of how it sounds!
    About ten years ago I was in town with my brother and we bumped into an acquaintance of mine. After introductions he turned to my brother and stated "Well, you're much better-looking than your sister."
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by girlcat36 View Post
    I struggle with hairloss. I used to have a very thin patch at the front of my head, right in the middle(it has since gotten somewhat better).

My boss was giving me the once over one day, and proclaims loudly, "You've got a bald spot, you know!"

I still can't figure out why he thought it would be a good idea to yell that out. As if I never looked in the mirror! Of course I knew I had a bald spot.
    I work in a very busy restaurant with an open kitchen, where everyone hears everything.
    That's so awful! My sister once shed a spot of hair towards the top of her head in middle school randomly, and the doctor said it could have been stress. She grew it back eventually, but she had to style her hair every day to cover it. She was very embarrassed by it.

Length
    18"/31"/60"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaDancer View Post
    That's so awful! My sister once shed a spot of hair towards the top of her head in middle school randomly, and the doctor said it could have been stress. She grew it back eventually, but she had to style her hair every day to cover it. She was very embarrassed by it.
    girlcat36, I missed that post of yours! How unbelievably RUDE of him !! I am sorry he was so ugly to you. Don't let him bother you.....ill breeding and poor upbringing show themselves loudly (as in his case) you remained the lady you are......good for you.
    Proudly renegray and growing on!!