Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair (Almost)Too Heavy For Updo

Length
    12 in/33"/45 in
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Question Hair (Almost)Too Heavy For Updo

I'm having a hard time dealing with having my hair up as its so heavy it seems to pull at my roots. My hair is very secure w/ the stix I use so that's not the problem. I've been wearing it up (every day) for about two weeks. I don't lack the technical experitise to make it look good and its defintely tight. I wear it mostly in a knot that I pull thru and use a stick or stix to hold in place. So what can I do to make it more comfortable? I'm definitely open to all suggestions! Thanks

Length
    30ish/47"/70+"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: Hair (Almost)Too Heavy For Updo

I have that problem right now, too. I think I just need to keep wearing it up so my neck muscles learn to deal with it.
    Lady Saphira of the Crystal Wings in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I submitted an article for my most comfortable bun called "the bun that stays." Give it a try. You don't have to pull it tight to make it stay.

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Do braids cause the same issue? English, french, dutch?

Before I ever found LHC, I spent about a year with my hair in braids, and that got me/my roots used to having it pulled back. When I found LHC, I started doing nape buns. Those are still the most comfortable for me.

Perhaps it's too tight, or too high?
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Where exactly is it pulling? At the hairline, all over, etc.? It can also happen if you strive for sheer tightness of a style instead of purely snug security. When I put my hair in a bun I'd rather it just be secure instead of tight due to it pulling and causing me irritation if it's really tight for too long. Since you say your skills with sticks aren't a problem then I'm going to believe that when you secure it it's in a spot that won't result in it falling just a little but and causing one section to get pulled hard. I know when I started if I didn't secure it just right then the bun might lean almost imperceptibly and it's still definitely feel it pulling and would have to redo it.

Length
    12/48/term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Hmmm, I'm having a similar problem. I think around the length you are at hair does tend to get heavy. I have my hair in a '10 second bun' right now very securely with a stick and IT HURTS. Not a sharp pain just a nice dull one that will not go away. I like my buns up higher sometimes and I think that contributes to it. The only way my hair doesn't hurt is either down loose or in a braid thats not too tight. Sorry I'm not much help I guess headaches are one danger of having long hair!

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

You've had great suggestions already. If all else fails, you could try using a headband (Alice band) or Buff, slinging it under your bun to take the weight.

Something I've been doing a lot this winter is piling my loose hair or braid into the hood of my cardigan. It's a nice safe place for it when I'm home and want to give my scalp a rest.
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.

Length
    12 in/33"/45 in
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Thumbs up Re: Hair (Almost)Too Heavy For Updo

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I submitted an article for my most comfortable bun called "the bun that stays." Give it a try. You don't have to pull it tight to make it stay.
    Ok studying this bun style, its very cute and sits slightly lower than my usual. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see if it feels better. I so appreciate the tip!

Length
    12 in/33"/45 in
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freznow View Post
    Do braids cause the same issue? English, french, dutch?

Before I ever found LHC, I spent about a year with my hair in braids, and that got me/my roots used to having it pulled back. When I found LHC, I started doing nape buns. Those are still the most comfortable for me.

Perhaps it's too tight, or too high?
    You may be right, I wanted it to be secure so I think in positioning my stick, I gather a lot of hair under & over it and it feels real tight. So I was playing with it a little tonight and discovered I could secure it by grabbing just some of the outer coil and some of the bottom, but I couldnt get it right each time. I think lots of practice will hopefully help me find a way..oh but I'm impatient

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm trying everything out.

Length
    12 in/33"/45 in
    Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Teazel View Post
    You've had great suggestions already. If all else fails, you could try using a headband (Alice band) or Buff, slinging it under your bun to take the weight.

Something I've been doing a lot this winter is piling my loose hair or braid into the hood of my cardigan. It's a nice safe place for it when I'm home and want to give my scalp a rest.
    good suggestion i'll definitely try it when its cardigan or hoodie weather..I'm beginning to realize after being up all day my hair needs to be down in some fashion..so I definitely need tangle-free ways to do this