Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    579
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

    Default best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    what is the best thing to do with hair after being in a swimming pool or in the ocean, summer is approaching & I frequent both, I usually as soon as I can I get into a shower & rinse my hair off.

  2. #2
    Member suffer-cait's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    61
    Length
    22 in/37 in/55 in
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    Any time I know I'm about to miss treat my hair a bit, I spoil it before, and ASAP afterwards. It seems to work well as far as I can tell.

  3. #3
    Member EllisGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Where there be Dragons
    Posts
    1,716
    Length
    17/27/????
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    I'm watching this thread because I'd like to know too. My DH just bought a pool for when his girls are here. I've worked too hard on my hair to let it be ruined by chlorine.

    Sig art by Selina French, original image as edited by Lady Ellyse

  4. #4
    Gypsy Witch in Training Madame J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,944
    Length
    pixie/shag/???
    Type
    1c/M/iii

    Default Re: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    There are two articles about hair and swimming in the Hair Care section of Articles. One is about protecting hair from chlorine, and the other talks about neutralizing and removing chlorine from hair without using a harsh shampoo.

    I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of club soda. I didn't even wash my hair after (or condition or anything) so I could see how it worked, and I was pleasantly surprised. Would maybe add just a touch of oil on the ends in the future.

  5. #5
    Member EllisGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Where there be Dragons
    Posts
    1,716
    Length
    17/27/????
    Type
    2b/M/iii

    Default Re: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    Sossity, I only found one out of the two Madame J mentioned (although I have not searched the archives yet). Here it is.

    I'm still interested to know if there are any avid swimmers out there that have a favorite chelating shampoo.

    Sig art by Selina French, original image as edited by Lady Ellyse

  6. #6
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    18,795

    Default Re: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    Quote Originally Posted by Madame J View Post
    There are two articles about hair and swimming in the Hair Care section of Articles. One is about protecting hair from chlorine, and the other talks about neutralizing and removing chlorine from hair without using a harsh shampoo.

    I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of club soda. I didn't even wash my hair after (or condition or anything) so I could see how it worked, and I was pleasantly surprised. Would maybe add just a touch of oil on the ends in the future.
    I am pleased that it worked for you. How did the club soda affect the condition of your hair?

    I suggest in the Article that the oils (coconut and argan) can be used after the club soda to condition and chelate mineral salts (copper and iron) even more.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    579
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    I am pleased that it worked for you. How did the club soda affect the condition of your hair?

    I suggest in the Article that the oils (coconut and argan) can be used after the club soda to condition and chelate mineral salts (copper and iron) even more.
    what if ones hair is already wet from the ocean? will this protect from chlorine?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    590
    Length
    16/21/36+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

    Default Re: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    Before you go swimming soak your hair in clean water, whatever you shower in is fine. Hair will soak up chemicals from the water (or salt) but it can only absorb so much. Once it's saturated it won't absorb more - so saturate first.

  9. #9
    Mad SCIENTIST!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Aus
    Posts
    4,185
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyEliza View Post
    Before you go swimming soak your hair in clean water, whatever you shower in is fine. Hair will soak up chemicals from the water (or salt) but it can only absorb so much. Once it's saturated it won't absorb more - so saturate first.
    And maybe seal with oil?

    I'm not convinced that just soaking will make a difference. Osmosis and diffusion have got to come into play.

  10. #10
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    18,795

    Default Re: best treatment for hair after being in a swimming pool or ocean

    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    And maybe seal with oil?

    I'm not convinced that just soaking will make a difference. Osmosis and diffusion have got to come into play.
    Oils do not really seal the hair. They are not the best things to have on your hair for pool swimming (contamination of pool water), or the ocean in any significant amounts.

    An alternative may be soaking your hair with club soda under a swim cap to help neutralize sea water minerals and chlorine and rinsing the hair with it afterward.

    The amount of damage minimizing of coconut oil or coconut and argan oils used as a pretreatment before swimming or club soda, would depend on how wet the hair would get and for how long the hair would be exposed to both sea water and chlorine. Both the club soda and coconut or coconut and argan oils can be used as follow-up treatments. The club soda is a rinse (you can leave it on the hair for a few minutes) and the oils for about an hour or less before rinsing/washing and conditioning.
    Last edited by ktani; May 27th, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •