Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hairtoy questions

Length
    18 in/18in/floor

Red face Hairtoy questions

Do you wear hair-toys because you like them? It seems weird because we don't really see them when in our hair, do we? Do significant people in your life like your hairtoys? Is it purely to help with mechanical damage by varying styles? Which hairtoys are your favourites and why? What's your most expensive hairtoy?
    I'm finding that I have a huge wish list already and my hair is barely long enough to hold a hairstick. They are varied and I've mostly chosen them because I like the way they look. And then it occurred to me that it was a bit silly as I never see the back of my head!

Chin - Shoulder - Oxter - Waist - Hip - TailBone - Classic - Knee - Ankle - Floor

Length
    13"/Hip/long
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hairtoy questions

Sometimes I wear hair toys because I like them, sometimes to show off, and sometimes just to keep my hair up out of the way. I don't have any toys I dislike, but its hard to be in love with a plain bent knitting needle for anything other than it's practicality.
    Lady Morelia, Caretaker of the Unknown Beasts in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Long tea-time for hair. neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Length
    12 in/41/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I wear all of my hair toys because I like them and most of them are visible to others and I occasionally receive compliments on them. When I complained to my husband that I didn't like my flexi-8s because they were too sparkley he said what you said, "But once it is in your hair you can't see it." Ah, but if I don't like the way it looks in my hand I won't wear it whether or not I can see it when it is in my hair.

My most expensive is a TT stick with banksia pod, next most expensive is pure silver from Thailand, most precious is a vintage kanzashi. They are all beautiful!

41in, 2a, F/M, ii (3in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    waist/TB/TB-CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I like them because they are beautiful and practical for when my hair needs to go up. Most people IRL don't seem to notice or care. I like sticks and flexi 8s. I have my first ficcare on the way and it is driving me nuts to wait. It is my most expensive toy.
    Summer of 2013

Length
    1/33.5"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I wear nice hair toys because they are a nice damage-free way of putting up my hair, because they allow me to be more creative with my hair and most importantly because I like them. Who cares that I don't see it during the day? I also don't see my underwear during the day but that doesn't stop me from wearing a pretty bra. I know it's there and that's enough.
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32WL34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Length
    1/33.5"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

My most expensive hair toy is a lord of the rings hair stick by nightblooming that is making its way to me right now. It's one of 3 hair toys I bought. I much prefer making most of my hair toys myself. That way every one gas a unique story and unique look.
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32WL34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Length
    39/TBL/knee
    Type
    2a/C/iii

i wear hair toys because i like them, yes they're functional (and necessary for the amount of hair i have) but there's more to it than that...i see one, fall in love, and what better way to show my appreciation for it than by wearing it? If i bought something *just* because it's functional i'd probably never use it, i'd pass over it for the pieces that call to me. Most people that actually notice what's in my hair like them too, i don't believe i've ever seen another person in real life use a hair fork or anything but a cheap plastic hair stick. At the moment i seem to be favoring wooden 3-4 prong hair forks, they seem to work the best for me right now. The most expensive thing i own is a timberstone turnings stick.

Length
    short/thigh/long
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I wear my hair toys because I like them.

It isn't that weird because like MinderMutsig pointed out, I don't see my underwear all day but I like a pretty bra too. I don't really see my clothes/makeup/jewelry all day either unless I look in a mirror and I like those to be nice as well.

Significant people in my life will notice and compliment my hairtoys but not too often.

It is a lot to do with the function of keeping my hair up and away from damage but at this point in my hair growing, form and function can meet and be pleasing in a way that I can enjoy. I have also had to add in weight to the factor now, with increased length lately though. For me that means some of my hairtoys I don't wear as often anymore because they've become a little too heavy for all of my hair to be held in one place with them. My favorites right now are my Lady Iduns because they are so easy to use and sturdy and yet so light and my NightBlooming pins because I can do some pretty romantic braided things with them.

My most expensive hairtoy would probably be my Twiggy Forged Hair Sticks although I do have some sort of collectibles like a few original Ficcares I purchased long ago and a pair of spiral Beetniks and a set of old Japanese bamboo stick/fork pair.
    goal: finger tip length

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I think of hair toys as a practical piece of jewellery. I can't see most jewellery I wear unless I look in a mirror, and I don't spend a whole lot of time gazing lovingly at my reflection, so I don't see wearing something pretty in my hair any differently from wearing a pretty pair of earrings. People often comment on my hair toys, so they aren't going completely unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by excentricat View Post
    Sometimes I wear hair toys because I like them, sometimes to show off, and sometimes just to keep my hair up out of the way. I don't have any toys I dislike, but its hard to be in love with a plain bent knitting needle for anything other than it's practicality.
    It's less hard if you just found what are probably the only three blue DPKNs in the country (they're almost impossible to get over here). I'm totally in love with my boring, plain, BLUE knitting needle pins.

Length
    17/23/26
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by skychild View Post
    do you wear hair-toys because you like them?
    Yes.
    It seems weird because we don't really see them when in our hair, do we?
    Can't see my diamond earrings either. What's your point?
    Do significant people in your life like your hairtoys?
    No, they do not notice them, all the significant people in my life are men (husband and three sons)
    is it purely to help with mechanical damage by varying styles?
    No. I keep my hair up because of mechanical damage but i could avoid that with a couple of amish pins and a scrunchie.
    Which hairtoys are your favourites and why?
    Ficcare, and my one grahtoe mermaid and my one timberstone turning. Beautiful quality, hold my hair up without pain and look nice to me while putting them in.
    What's your most expensive hairtoy?
    New ficcare, the price has gone up; i traded ficcares for the other expensive things.
    i'm finding that i have a huge wish list already and my hair is barely long enough to hold a hairstick. They are varied and i've mostly chosen them because i like the way they look. And then it occurred to me that it was a bit silly as i never see the back of my head!
    well, don't buy them all at the same time and keep your budget sensibly and then just enjoy what you decide you like and can afford.