Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layers

Length
    21"/25/29
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Layers

I've gotten really bored with my all one length hair and have been thinking about layers for quite some time now. However I remember how long it took me to get to all one length - what I don't like about it is how my hair looks skinned back mean bun lady when up and I've been trying different up dos, braids sticks clips hair bands etc.

I don't want bangs that was even worse to grow out than layers. If I have layers the shortest will be just below chin length. I'm thinking something like Kyra Sedgewick http://www.peoplestylewatch.com/peop...3416_8,00.html
    But then I don't want to turn in to another look alike blonde.... My hair grows very slowly - even with layered styles of the 80's I only cut every 4-5 months - so this would be drastic for me.

Plus I don't think I'm going to get much more length- waist length hair is a pipe dream, growing four inches a year and I've been growing out since 02 with some drastic cuts from layers to one length. (but the last two have been 1/2 trims twice a year).

And yes I know this will be a maintenance heavy hairstyle - that part I'm not looking forward to. I'm hoping some of my natural wave will come out with the layers.

Okay if you made it reading through my wandering post this far, I guess my question is what would you do, or what would you suggest I do? (two week rule was gone about a month ago!)

Don't Stall On Me Now!
    Length
    Pixie/Hip/Clssc
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Layers

If you get layers and try to braid or do updo's, you can just forget about it! You'll have hair popping out everywhere!

I am personally sick of layers but it's your hair, I just wanted to point out that updos will be that much harder to keep up and tidy. Plus your growth is slow, according to you, are you willing to stick it out if you don't like it? Those chin length layers sound pretty short to me and my hair grows fast! Have you thought about longer layers instead?

Whatever you decide, I hope you like it and I wish you well.

I'd like to add that I think your hair is beautiful! I don't think you should cut it but that's just me.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I know how you're feeling. I've been considering layers because they enhance my waves more, and help add definition and shape when my hair lies flat. But I also know what a pain updos with layers are- so I'm kinda stuck.

I honestly don't think a few layers would hurt- but I wouldn't go as short as chin length. Why don't you start your shortest layer at just below shoulder length, and go from there? Or just do one or two layers closes to your bottom length? That shouldn't hurt your updos too much, and you'll get a little something different without taking away too much length.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by amaiaisabella View Post
    I know how you're feeling. I've been considering layers because they enhance my waves more, and help add definition and shape when my hair lies flat. But I also know what a pain updos with layers are- so I'm kinda stuck.

I honestly don't think a few layers would hurt- but I wouldn't go as short as chin length. Why don't you start your shortest layer at just below shoulder length, and go from there? Or just do one or two layers closes to your bottom length? That shouldn't hurt your updos too much, and you'll get a little something different without taking away too much length.
    Yup, that's what I was thinking too... the best of both worlds?

Length
    20/27/26
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Am I the only one who prefers doing updos with layers? Ends popping out all over is the point! I *like* the bits and pieces that fall out; they looked good on me back when I had them. I've been considering layers myself, just to get that back.

One thing to consider, though, atlantaz3: if you grow 4" a year and waist length is your goal, then you look like you only have a year or less to go. (When straightened, anyways.)

Messy Bun Article
    2b F/M ii: Wavy hair that's on the fine side of medium

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I wouldn't go a short as chin length either (that's really short!). Maybe try a few in the last 2-3" of hair? That's not as much of a commitment, especially of you don't end up liking them, and you can always add a few more later if you decide you do like them.

I'm not anti-layer - I have them too, and like them, but I remember from before that layers starting at chin length = tons of layers to deal with, especially at a longer length. (I've been keeping mine longer this time, and they are much easier to deal with.)
    May 2009

Length
    2 in/MBL/???
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I am currently growing out layers. I am too through with them right now. I liked them when I first got them though... they tend to grow out somewhat gracefully at first too.

But right now I just want them gone!
    Lady Libra, Bardic Gloriana, Duchess of the Land of a Tall Hayre Tale in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    16"/21"/Thigh
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I had my hair cut to all one length last fall, and I really miss my layers when my hair is down. My hair looks way better down with layers than without. However, as others have pointed out, braids and updo's look way better with a blunt cut. Have you considered getting only face framing layers? You may be able to have the best of both worlds that way.

Length
    ~15"/47"/Term?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

I had hair that looked like yours a few years ago, and got layers and highlights put in. It was fun for the first few days, but I couldn't even put it in a pony without pieces falling out. I don't have any time to maintain layers, so they got really ratty. I ended up cutting them all out a while later and loosing about a foot of hair. I'm much more happy with my current one-length, hip length hair.

Stick with it-- you're not far from your goal! Have you thought of using a non-damaging dye to mix your look up a bit?

Length
    SL/W/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I think you need to ask yourself how much styling you want to do, and what kind of styles. Layers are great for loose styles with waves, curls, and volume on top. They're also perfect for casual updo styles like peacock twists which call for having bits of hair sticking out, or the half-up styles at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.beauty-navi.com/wedding/f...ng9/#long_ktwo

But if you generally prefer not to spend time on styling, or you would rather have a polished look with updos, then one-length is much better.

I like the long layers suggestion. If you start the layers between shoulder to APL you'll get a lot of the casual-style advantages of layers without too many of the disadvantages. And it won't take as long to grow out if you get tired of them.