Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henna Dye Demise

Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Default Henna Dye Demise

I had wanted to find something that gave a permanent conditioning effect like henna would, but without the color, and I know that tons of other people asked for that too. What about making the henna dye demise, and THEN reaping the benefits?

Wikipedia says probably not
    The dye itself, Lawsone (2-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone)/hennotannic acid, is what reacts with the keratin (protein) in your hair, binding to it and creating that beautiful gloss and shine. So if that part itself demises then there will be nothing to stick to your hair to create that conditioning effect.
    ...I think. Of course, there's that possibility that the molecule that Lawsone degrades into also is beneficial to hair, but probably not (the Michael addition reaction needs really specific substituents on the molecule). I'm guessing that in people that have had their intended results, the dye demised enough, they may have had darker hair, and it had a less effective conditioning effect (though that may not be able to be noticed, if we way OVER condition the hair with henna anyhow).

Just some thoughts. What do you think? I just want to get a clear-ish answer about this, haha.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Henna Dye Demise

In my experience, when the dye is gone, so are the conditioning benefits, at least to the point where it isn't worth the effort of putting mud on your head and then rinsing it out. The ROI at that point just isn't there.

Also, I did some testing TRYING to kill the dye in henna. I added boiling water and then microwaved it for several minutes, and let it sit out in a warm place for days.

After 52 hours it was STILL staining. It's very hard to gauge when you hit true demise, and for people with light hair, any lingering color could be disastrous.

I think the old advice of, if you want the conditioning without the red, stick to cassia, applies here.

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Ive always wondered if there was a way to apply henna without color. Guess im out of luck there too cassia sounds interesting though but i dont htink it would leave a desirable cast on my hair...

Look into Cassia it would be safer than trying to demise Henna

Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Very cool, Nightshade! I was wondering if anyone had actually run some experimentation on it that showed pictures, thanks! Wanted to do it myself but I don't think it would have had really visible differences on my hair.

I just keep wondering to myself... there's got to be other stuff that binds to keratin. The Michael addition reaction isn't that rare, I don't think... I'll have to do more research on it.

Natalia, are you afraid of the cassia staining to yellow/brassy? From what I know, if you use distilled water, cassia doesn't do any color changes really - the dye is pH sensitive. It's worth checking into. =)

The middle of My Forest, where fairies dwell.
    Length
    17in/tb/50in
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

The cassia henna mix is only red due to the henna, the cassia actually tones it down some. I agree that cassia alone, unless you are very blonde won't change your color. It does a a light golden blonde tone to very pale hair, but that is all. It conditions well though.
    ............ ....... ....................

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

It also does the same when mixed with chamomile tea

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Ugh! Ok my computer wont let me do quoted replies so i shall do it herein quick reply .

Moonstruck:
    Natalia, are you afraid of the cassia staining to yellow/brassy? From what I know, if you use distilled water, cassia doesn't do any color changes really - the dye is pH sensitive. It's worth checking into. =)
    Thank you that is good to know! I always read the cassia experiments of those with grey hair becasue my roots are such a pale blonde i figure it will come out close to the same. If i had virgin hair i probably wouldnt mind but the mass of my hair is deep dark brown so i REALLY dont need any extra gold lol!

Now that i know that.... how long does cassia last and does it affect how other things take to hair? Like oils/products and such? If i dont like it do i have to wait for it to grow out like henna or will it wear off so i can have my hair back?

Thank you <3
    Natalia

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Not to answer for Moonstruck, but cassia usually lasts 3-4 weeks, depending in how you wash- CO will make it last longer than SC with a harsh shampoo.

It doesn't affect other products like oils, though you may find you need less of those products because of the conditioning effects of cassia.

If you don't like it, some aggressive shampooing or just time will get it out Unlike henna it isn't permanent.