Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diluting shampoo with honey?

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Diluting shampoo with honey?

I remember reading years and years ago of some Finnish woman, long before I was a member here or even growing out my own hair, who was using just honey to wash her hair. She wrote it took few washes to her hair/scalp to adjust but after that she was very happy with it.

I never quite forgot what I had read, and I got this idea in my head that maybe I could experiment diluting my shampoo with honey. I have sensitive scalp and have a trusty (sulfate) shampoo that has helped my scalp to stay balanced and I'm not willing to give it up. I have tried diluting with water but I just did not like it, it was difficult to manage because it was so runny, and I often ended up using more shampoo than I do with my undiluted shampoo. Also I can make the full strength shampoo stay at the scalp better, right where it is most needed.

I had success diluting shampoo with aloe vera gel, and liked it, but it was just an extra step and I left that out after a while. Ofcourse mixing honey in the shampoo is also an extra step, but I know my self and am not planning to do this with every wash but it will be a great option for once in a while when I want some pampering!

So, yesterday I tried this, using a little less shampoo than I normally do and about same amounth of honey. Mixed in my palm and shampooed (honpooed?) like normal. I rinsed well, thinking I don't want any sticky honey residue in my hair. The shampooing was pleasant, it maybe lathered a litlle less than normally, the lovely honey smell was nice. Did my normal routines otherwise (exept added a bit honey in my conditioner too) and went to sleep with wet hair.

Today my hair is wonderful! It's very soft and moisturized! And what is very important to me, my scalp is not a tinyest bit irritated!!! Yay!

That was actually one of the reasons behind this experiment, because SMT irritate my scalp and I wanted to know if it was honey or conditioner, I knew it wasn't aloe gel. Conditioner on the scalp has become a huge irritant to my skin after my CO experimenting after I joined here But now I know I can use honey hair masks etc.

Sorry this is so long, but wanted to know if others have diluted their shampoo with honey or used just honey to wash their hair/scalp?
    Last edited by Arctic; May 19th, 2009 at 04:39 AM.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Diluting shampoo with honey?

yes, I also have serious scalp issues and often use honey, alone, mixed with conditioner, or in an SMT.

If I wash with shampoo, I tend to not wash with honey too, since, for me, shampoo washing is about getting my scalp REALLY clean. honey soothes and moisturizes, but does not deep clean.

I can't think that there would be any problems diluting shampoo with honey, as long as you rinse really well.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Thanks Katze!
    Anybody else???

Length
    17/32/term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I think I should try it. If I get conditioner too close to my scalp, my hair looks greasy faster. But if I use honey with my shampoo, the hairs closer to the scalp would get more moisture, right?
    September 2012. Next mini goal: Hip!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I would think so, at least my hair feels very good today from root to tips

Length
    17/32/term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Sounds nice! I'm going to put it on my "to try" list for June
    September 2012. Next mini goal: Hip!

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I just washed today, but for my next wash on Thursday, I will definitely give this a go and report back with my results. I am really curious about this as well.

Length
    Chin/Waist/Clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Now this is an interesting idea! I'm in need of some new things to try as I am having moisture issues. And, I also have a sensitive scalp that can't deal without SLS but hates conditioner. Hm! Have to get myself a big jar of honey.

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Go for it.

(I haven't tried it personally, as I don't really use shampoo, but I believe I have read of someone else doing so - or perhaps it was aloe, or both that she diluted her shampoo in... I see no particular reason why it shouldn't work.)
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    37"/39"/term
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Never tried honey in my shampoo....actually I don't use shampoo, I use either DW, poo bars, or co wash. Anyway, I use honey in my conditioner. My hair Loves honey!!! I also add it to my flaxseed gel when I make it. I use DW and poo bars that have honey in them, so I would suppose it would work as well in shampoo. I am planning on making shampoo with Dr. Bronner's castile soap and I'm going to add honey to it, and I'm sure my hair will love me.