Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does coconut oil build up?

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Does coconut oil build up?

I have been using herbs to wash my hair (roots only) and catnip soaks for conditioning. While my hair is damp, I apply a couple drops of coconut oil on the length below my ears. No other shampoo or product has been on my hair for months and it has been working great up until a couple weeks ago when I started noticing a little breakage, not much, talking several hairs 3 or 4 inches long but there was none before.

Then I washed my hair yesterday - same routine, catnip soak for an hour, herbs on the scalp, rinse well, coconut oil on the ends and I noticed my ends were crunchy! This is a first. The only thing I can think of is the coconut oil building up so I clarified just the length and have SMT on it right now. Anyone else notice coconut oil building up or could it be something else?
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Does coconut oil build up?

I think that any oil can build-up if over used and not removed well. It depends on how much you use and what you wash your hair with.

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Thanks, ktani. I knew I would get a response from you - smile!
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

I left by request
    Length
    Left/Left/Left
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I did use coconut oil for some time and it was great. But recently I had very greasy hair that felt heavy and my ends felt all weird. So I'm using evoo now and my hair is all better, no funny weird feeling ends .

So I agree what Ktani said. I think oils can build up on the hair overtime.

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

everything can build up. I washed my hair three times today with a harsh shampoo and used conditioner as usual. My hair is soo soft right now I can't believe it! Sometimes our hair needs a good clarifying!

Quote Originally Posted by kdaniels8811 View Post
    Thanks, ktani. I knew I would get a response from you - smile!
    You are most welcome!

Some things build-up while others do not but it depends on your routine. My shampoo contains 1 cone. I have never had the shampoo build-up in over 4 years.

Catnip washes out pretty much (not all of the colour) with one light shampoo. It has never built-up on my hair either.

Other things like most conditioners do not wash out with most shampoos in one wash. It also depends on how they are used (amount) and the ingredients (some are heavier than others, more waxes) and silicones come in different weights (some are gummier).

Natural herbs can contain mulilage and resins. I went through a bad time with mucilage build-up from a plant.

Shampoo for normal hair can remove product build-up pretty well. A lot of shampoo brands now have conditioner ingredients in them (waxy type ingredients) which further complicates the issue.
    Last edited by ktani; May 14th, 2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I guess I need to use shampoo once in a while, I have not been using any, just rinsing the catnip tea out. Thank you for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaniels8811 View Post
    I guess I need to use shampoo once in a while, I have not been using any, just rinsing the catnip tea out. Thank you for the response.
    Coatings need to be removed by something once in a while. Shampoo is a gentle option IMO, depending on the choice of formulas.

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I use Indian herbs for wash, and use lots of oils.

My hair doesn't seem to dislike this, BUT, I get some build up of oil and mucilage in a blend.
    When I wash with decyl glucose shampoo, I get lot of this off.

I avoid amla and methi, that seems to build up most. Some methi I can use for slip and easier rinse out, but not much at all.

It seems that oil together with mucilage, create a greasy heavy pasty build up.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I've been using coconut oil quite heavily on a daily basis. I use much much more than you, and I apply it at least once a day, if not twice or whenever I feel like my hair need it. I can't say it built up, but I also 'clarify' before hennaing once a month so it doesn't allow it to build up.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!