Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st time hennaed yesterday, itchy?

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Default 1st time hennaed yesterday, itchy?

I did a full henna for the first time yesterday - I will post pics after it oxidizes ! However, my scalp has been itching like CRAZY last night and all of today... I tried taking a shower and washing it today, then vinegar rinse to see if it would help, but it's still just as itchy.

My mix was H4H henna, distilled water, and a little bit of lemon juice (only 1-2 tb in 200g henna)... I suppose it could have been the lemon juice? Is this normal?

Does anyone have any tips for stopping this itching? I'm going crazy here.

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: 1st time hennaed yesterday, itchy?

I have found that when I itch after henna, that I just haven't gotten it all rinsed.

It takes a lot of rinsing with henna. I rinse and rinse and when I think it is gone I rinse some more. Otherwise I itch. That has been my results.

I have taken to using a backyard water hose so that I make sure that it is all rinsed out. I find that is the easiest for me at least. My shower doesn't have a lot of pressure.

Oh and I never use a protein conditioner after henna either, I seemed to remember it made me itch too.

HTH

On the edge of my forest!

Length
    20"/23"/hips
    Type
    1a/F/i

Mine gets that way too. ^_^ Usually is until I shampoo my hair (a day or so later) when I really get all the henndigo (in my case) off my scalp. But, it goes away immediately after that, so maybe you're the same.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    waist/29/hip
    Type
    1a/F/i

Did you wash your henna or you just rinsed it?
    I always wash my hair after any henna application, ( I wash them with olive oil soap but this has nothing to do ) and then I do a rinse with vinegar.
    If you want to get rid of the itching just wash your hair and don't worry about the color. It will oxidized normally. And you will see how much of the henna mad is going to get rinsed when you will rinse the shampoo from your hair.
    Last edited by marialena; May 13th, 2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: correcting mumbo-jumbo..:P :D

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Itching isn't uncommon with just plain old henna alone, and the fact that you used lemon juice probably doesn't help. It might be worth trying to wash your hair again with some shampoo to see if it gets the remnants of the henna powder out, and thus solves the itchy.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    37"/45"/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I always mix my henna with lemon juice, but the only time I get the itchies is when I don't rinse long enough. I always shampoo and heavy condition too.
    Lady Nyghtingale, Devoted and Obedient Healer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Consider possible allergy as well. Any person can become allergic to any substance at any time. For instance, I suddenly discovered I was allergic to bananas about 2 years ago after eating them without a problem off and on all my life.

Do an inner-arm spot test with your mix overnight, see what happens.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Consider possible allergy as well. Any person can become allergic to any substance at any time. For instance, I suddenly discovered I was allergic to bananas about 2 years ago after eating them without a problem off and on all my life.

This. Only mix it with hot water rather than lemon to make sure that that isn't the cause of it. I doubt that you're allergic to your tap water if you've been using it however long you've lived there.

Also, make sure that it's a small spot on your arm. You don't want to look ike you've grown a new birthmark. xD;
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

The back of my scalp always itches after a henna. Be sure there is no rash; that could mean you are allergic to it.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    waist/29/hip
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post

Hmmm...Perhaps is a kind of skin reaction but it does not seem to me like an allergy. If it was allergy Norai wouldn't even bear henna on her head during the application. It seems more like some kind of reaction either to the henna+lemon mix or to henna that is not rinsed well.

But in any case Norai is good to check it out..