Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does coconut oil build up?

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Does coconut oil build up?

Quote Originally Posted by Isilme View Post
    everything can build up. I washed my hair three times today with a harsh shampoo and used conditioner as usual. My hair is soo soft right now I can't believe it! Sometimes our hair needs a good clarifying!

Dito! I use diluted herbal shampoo and herbal condish, nevertheless my hair sometimes feels coated and just weird and I just know that I need to shampoo the whole of it with a good strong sulfate shampoo. Sound harsh but then my hair is all nice and shiney. Maybe it's sebum build up, I don't know. But I agree that everything can build up and that hair sometimes just wants to be really clean!
    At true tailbone!

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Well, my routine will now include a monthly clarifying before henna. I clarified last night and my hair is back to being soft and shiny. Should of known better....
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

Length
    15 in/21 in/33 in
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Co washing gets it out of my hair.
    I don't think I have build up yet.

I haven't noticed crunchy ends either. My ends do tend to absorb all of the oil and get dry again, and when it does that I just add a little more oil.
    My hair Is thirsty. Lol
    And when I wash it out and do my routine I find I'm using less and less every day.
    But I do use it several times during the day, but in very small amounts. My hair doesn't look oily either.
    Unless that's what I'm going for.

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I've decided that I do need a shampoo every once in a while. At least every 6 weeks.

Glad things are back to normal for you.

Length
    17/21/TBL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/i/ii

I use coconut oil twice a day (once in the morning and once just before "beddy-bye." I just use about a dime sized amount each time on my ends. Any that's left over on my hands is smoothed onto the rest of my hair. No build up. For me, the key is not to use too much at one time. Also at least once a week I apply (a very little) of it directly to my scalp and my scalp just eats it right up. No oily gunk afterwards.