Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on moisture treatments, humectants

Length
    15"/23"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Questions on moisture treatments, humectants

So, I've read about the SMT and everything, and have an aloe vera plant at home that I want to experiment with, but I have a few questions.

- Would it be okay to use honey and aloe vera without the conditioner? Would this affect the moisturizing properties?
    - Can I add a banana to that mixture? Would that help add more moisture?
    - What would happen if I added an egg yolk to the mix?
    - I've read that honey only results in dryness if it's the type that leaves residue. How accurate is the information that it 'absorbs' moisture from the surroundings and dries out your hair in very dry climates?
    - What other natural/herbal ingredients can I use for moisture? I don't have access to shea butter...

Type
    1c/F/i

Default Re: Questions on moisture treatments, humectants

Hi!

I'm not a hair guru and I can't fully answer your question - I've never tried aloe (but I will soon I hope).

I had 2 very old eggs to use up so decided to put them in my hair. I mixed them thoroughly, added about a tablespoon of honey and about 5-10mls white vinegar. I mixed it thoroughly and massaged it well throughout my hair which I had pre-oiled overnight with coconut oil. I used the egg mix as a shampoo and it did a great job of cleaning my hair. I've used eggs to shampoo but never added the honey and vinegar before. This time it left my hair so soft and shiny - it has been in poor condition and this is the best I have seen it in a long time! I really think it was the honey so I'm planning to try it in lots of different ways now. I'll watch this thread with interest.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    So, I've read about the SMT and everything, and have an aloe vera plant at home that I want to experiment with, but I have a few questions.

- Would it be okay to use honey and aloe vera without the conditioner? Would this affect the moisturizing properties?
    - Can I add a banana to that mixture? Would that help add more moisture?
    - What would happen if I added an egg yolk to the mix?
    - I've read that honey only results in dryness if it's the type that leaves residue. How accurate is the information that it 'absorbs' moisture from the surroundings and dries out your hair in very dry climates?
    - What other natural/herbal ingredients can I use for moisture? I don't have access to shea butter...
    I feel like on a LHC pop quiz
    Honey/AVG mix - try it and you'll know. I use AVG/coconut oil mix as a frizz buster leave in after washing my hair. So conditioner is no must and you might find a honey/AVG treatment working.

Bananas - hope this explains it all

Egg yolk? Try it! Some poeple use egg yolk as a shampoo. Only thing is - when you rinse it, don't use water too warm, you'll end up with omlet bits in your hair. I also found that the egg yolk smell tend to linger, but not everybody's hair is like that.

Honey should be diluted, otherwise it's very sticky and you don't want it in your hair. It may build up, so if you use it and your ends suddenly feel very damaged and in dire need for a trim, it's honey residue. Honey (like AVG) is a humicat - it attracts moisture from the air, but if the air is dry it might suck moisture out of your hair.

Oils and butters can be great for retaining moisture to hair. Shea butter does wonders for my olway dry and terribly thirsty ends. I can't pass a day without coconut oil - my hair is generally very dry. Some people swear by catnip rinses, you might want to check out the thread for that.

Hope that answers your questions.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    I feel like on a LHC pop quiz
    Honey/AVG mix - try it and you'll know. I use AVG/coconut oil mix as a frizz buster leave in after washing my hair. So conditioner is no must and you might find a honey/AVG treatment working.

Bananas - hope this explains it all

Egg yolk? Try it! Some poeple use egg yolk as a shampoo. Only thing is - when you rinse it, don't use water too warm, you'll end up with omlet bits in your hair. I also found that the egg yolk smell tend to linger, but not everybody's hair is like that.

Honey should be diluted, otherwise it's very sticky and you don't want it in your hair. It may build up, so if you use it and your ends suddenly feel very damaged and in dire need for a trim, it's honey residue. Honey (like AVG) is a humicat - it attracts moisture from the air, but if the air is dry it might suck moisture out of your hair.

Oils and butters can be great for retaining moisture to hair. Shea butter does wonders for my olway dry and terribly thirsty ends. I can't pass a day without coconut oil - my hair is generally very dry. Some people swear by catnip rinses, you might want to check out the thread for that.

Hope that answers your questions.
    The advice is sound, but I'm really loving the drawings!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

If you do get honey residue, shampoo is reported to take care of it the best. A vinegar rinse can help too as well as extra rinsing. Different honeys leave different amounts of residue and some leave none that are discernable.

Type
    4a/M/C/iii

Don't know if you ladies are joking but I just wanted to add that I find banana to be very moisturizing in my hair. I use organic baby food bananas so that I won't have any problems rinsing it out but others simply put the banana in a blender before using. Avocado is another food often used for moisture in hair masks.

Eggs are protein but I find them to be pretty moisturizing. Yogurt is even better.

I would suggest experimenting with the ingredients you want to. No one can really tell you what will work for your hair because hair is distinct as each person is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by vkb247 View Post
    Don't know if you ladies are joking but I just wanted to add that I find banana to be very moisturizing in my hair. I use organic baby food bananas so that I won't have any problems rinsing it out but others simply put the banana in a blender before using. Avocado is another food often used for moisture in hair masks.

Eggs are protein but I find them to be pretty moisturizing. Yogurt is even better.

I would suggest experimenting with the ingredients you want to. No one can really tell you what will work for your hair because hair is distinct as each person is unique.
    I have read here on the boards that baby food banana works well for hair conditioning. I have never tried it.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Ha, love the drawing, but I've had good luck with bananas too! Those baby-food bananas work great- beware chunks if you mush them up yourself. The caramel treatment has bananas and is the biggest moisture-bomb I've ever put on my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post
    Ha, love the drawing, but I've had good luck with bananas too! Those baby-food bananas work great- beware chunks if you mush them up yourself. The caramel treatment has bananas and is the biggest moisture-bomb I've ever put on my head.
    LOL, you beat me to it. I was just going to link that thread and yes, baby food banana is reported to work well in that recipe exactly.

Length
    15/25/30
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Yup, I'm another banana fan! I discovered them also in the Caramel Treatment thread, and use the organic baby food kind. It's surprisingly easy to work with, spreads - in my hair, anyway - very thoroughly and rinses easily too. Of course, it's mixed with other ingredients (I've used AVG, ACV, avocado oil, shea butter, EVOO, coconut oil, macadamia oil in various ratios) but it's always left my hair in great condition.