Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: things you apply to hair to extend washes

Account Closed by Member Request

Question things you apply to hair to extend washes

Has anyone here used talc, powder, or any other deodorizer on their hair in order to extend washes? Please share. Thanks!

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: things you apply to hair to extend washes

Lee Stafford's hair degreasing spray stuff, can't remember it's name: smelled nice, worked well, cost loads.

Baby talc: smelled nice, worked well, cost hardly anything.

Just make sure you rub it in really really well to not have white hair!
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post
    Lee Stafford's hair degreasing spray stuff, can't remember it's name: smelled nice, worked well, cost loads.

Baby talc: smelled nice, worked well, cost hardly anything.

Just make sure you rub it in really really well to not have white hair!
    Thanks! So the baby talc didn't cause dandruff? What brand did/do you use and how do you apply (how much, by hand or directly on hair, how often)?

Length
    16/21/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I use corn starch. I would love to find an alternative, but haven't felt like spending the money.

Length
    Jaw/Waist/??
    Type
    1b/1c/C/iii

Yeah i just used to use talc aswell. had to rub it in really well, workes well and is cheap. havent used it long term though. just used it every now and then a few years ago when was busy working.

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I heard some ridiculous rumour that baby powder causes cancer or something (doesn't everything) and I stopped using it for a while. Then I actually did some research and discarded the fear. It works great. I have a lavender scented one, and as long as I don't over apply it, I can go an extra day or two without shampoo.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by birthmarkie View Post
    Thanks! So the baby talc didn't cause dandruff? What brand did/do you use and how do you apply (how much, by hand or directly on hair, how often)?
    I think the one I use is Johnsons. In a white bottle with pink writing on.

I usually shake it over my hand until my whole hand is write, turn my head upside down and rub that into the midldle, then cover my hand again, rub my palms together a bit and rub that on each side of my head. Then brush like hell until my hair's brown again. I never wear my hair down, but when it looks greasy up I do this. Probobly about 2/3 days a week. Say I washed Monday night, I'm fine Tuesday, use this on Wednesday morning, it lasts until Thursday then I wash Thursday evening. I never get dandruff, with or without talc.

If my hair is looking awful I will shake the talc directly on, but usually I do it into my palms.
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RancheroTheBee View Post
    I heard some ridiculous rumour that baby powder causes cancer or something (doesn't everything) and I stopped using it for a while. Then I actually did some research and discarded the fear. It works great. I have a lavender scented one, and as long as I don't over apply it, I can go an extra day or two without shampoo.
    I heard the cancer thing. My bum never got cancer when I was a baby so I think I'm doing ok. Actually I prefer my chances with talc than some shampoo chemicals.
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    14/35/44
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post
    I heard the cancer thing. My bum never got cancer when I was a baby so I think I'm doing ok. Actually I prefer my chances with talc than some shampoo chemicals.
    While I was unaware of there being any rumor of talc causing cancer, reading this post made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt.
    It just hit a funny nerve.
    Tailbone, with deliciously oily strands...hmm...I should probably take a picture with clean hair. At some point. Next stop, classic! And maybe some henna...

Length
    waist/TB/long

There actually is a problem with talc, but it is inhaling the talc that can cause damage, not having it on your skin or hair.

Personally, I never add anything to my hair to keep it clean longer. I think everything you add just attracts dirt and makes it get dirtier faster.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I seem to recall that someone on here with darker hair preferred cornmeal to talc or cornstarch, and said that it blended or brushed out better, rather than leaving white roots. Haven't tried it, though.

ETA: It was mellie, post #7 in this thread gives her recipe.
    Also interesting: This thread suggests mixing cocoa powder into your absorbent stuff to give it a darker color.
    Last edited by Anje; April 30th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Wow, thanks for the responses everyone. I actually have a body talc, a generic brand of Shower to Shower, and I would like to try that. I will have to check the ingredients first. If there's anything questionable I might just try cornstarch. Worst case scenario I will have to wash and condition well afterwards, which my hair needs anyway. I love the sheen on my hair from infrequent washing, but I'd like to freshen it up a bit so I don't put off anyone with my musk.

Anje, I would think cornmeal is far too grainy to blend into hair or to get out

Length
    less/long/more
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Well, I wash my scalp every 3 or 4 days, but on my length I'll use jojoba and leave in conditioner during the 3 - 6 week weeks between full washes.
    "All of life is a foreign country" (Jack Kerouac, 1949).
    "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." (Albert Einstein)

Thanks, Beatnik Guy! I cannot wait till I can do scalp washes I think my hair is still too short for that.

Update -- I used CVS Shower to Bath powder on my scalp and Giovanni direct leave-in on my ends. It smells like I just showered and washed my hair! I hope it holds up. I'll try to update here on how it does.