Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquid oils for hair

Default Liquid oils for hair

What are good liquids oils for hair? I tried coconut oil and did not like how it was hard...I had a hard time getting it to melt in my hands. Any recommendations for oils that are already liquid? Ones that I could use on my scalp as well as on my hair length.

Length
    13/23/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: Liquid oils for hair

I just bought some jojoba oil yesterday. It's liquid, but I'm not sure when to use it. I keep hearing to use it after moisturizing, but when hair is dry. I don't know, I'm a little confused. Can anyone help me and plainjanegirl out?

Thanks!

Length
    ears/36.5/Knees
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I use a couple of drops of sweet almond oil on wet hair, just at the ends. That is where I need it the most.

I bought it in the ethnic hair care section at my walmart. They had few other hair care items there. Most of the labels were not in english, that is why I call it ethnic. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Jojoba, grapeseed, sweet almond, avocado, olive... just about anything; though you will have varying success. (For example, olive and avocado are rather heavy. Some people like that, others don't. Grapeseed is really light, and jojoba is too, though YMMV)
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

I prefer camellia oil

Length
    N/A/48"/50"
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by goodluckcharm View Post
    I just bought some jojoba oil yesterday. It's liquid, but I'm not sure when to use it. I keep hearing to use it after moisturizing, but when hair is dry. I don't know, I'm a little confused. Can anyone help me and plainjanegirl out?

Thanks!
    My hair loves jojoba oil. I just use it whenever my hair needs oiling, though I prefer to oil when my hair is dry. I alternate bettween coconut, jojoba, camellia and ojon oils and I plan to add monoi to my list very soon. I occasionally use evoo and sweet almond in my pre-shampoo conditioning mixes only since they are heavier oils.

I smileys!

Quote Originally Posted by LHGypsyRose View Post
    My hair loves jojoba oil. I just use it whenever my hair needs oiling, though I prefer to oil when my hair is dry. I alternate bettween coconut, jojoba, camellia and ojon oils and I plan to add monoi to my list very soon. I occasionally use evoo and sweet almond in my pre-shampoo conditioning mixes only since they are heavier oils.

So how can you tell when your hair needs oiling?

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

You can also melt your solid oils and mix with liquid oils to create something with a much lower melting point. I use a blend of cocoa butter, almond oil, and jojoba oil that easily melts in my hands. Of the liquid oils, my favorite is jojoba oil (delivered in the form of kimberlily's defrizz spray).

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    N/A/48"/50"
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by plainjanegirl View Post
    So how can you tell when your hair needs oiling?
    Thats a good question.lol I guess I just know my hair that well? Basicly when my hair is looking a bit dry, rough and isn't detangling very easily, then I know it either wants a good misting of my AO white camellia/water mix..or it wants oil.
    If I lightly mist first and my hair gets worse and starts tangling, then I know it needs oil. So after letting it completely dry again I will smooth some oil through the length and it will get very smooth and silky feeling. Then after brushing and letting the oil soak in for a bit I come back and mist all through the length, then my hair is happy as a bug Seriously.

I smileys!

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I can't put oil on dry hair unless I'm about to wash (and I put large amounts on). It just makes my hair drier. I have to put oil on damp hair for the moisture to sink in. HTH

plainjanegirl: If my ends are looking like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket, I usually need oiling. I think it's more readily apparant on straighter-hairs since the ends hang differently- but dry and crackly is usually an indicator.
    Last edited by amaiaisabella; April 7th, 2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: clarification
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.