Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Opening the cuticle

  1. #1
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,707
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

    Default Opening the cuticle

    Ok so I am wondering how we get our cuticles to open for the hairs to absorb the henna or deep treatments better?

    Do we just use heat to open them up with like say a hot towel or is there something else to make them open up and absorb as much as possible??

    Aisha

  2. #2
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    18,795

    Default Re: Opening the cuticle

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    Ok so I am wondering how we get our cuticles to open for the hairs to absorb the henna or deep treatments better?

    Do we just use heat to open them up with like say a hot towel or is there something else to make them open up and absorb as much as possible??

    Aisha
    A number of things open hair cuticles. It depends on to what degree. Water makes hair swell, so does heat. Alkaline substances like baking soda and hair colouring substances like ammonial open them further.

  3. #3
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,707
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

    Default Re: Opening the cuticle

    So doing baking soda or getting hair wet before applying is best?? Does the cuticle close after hair is dryed??

  4. #4
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    18,795

    Default Re: Opening the cuticle

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    So doing baking soda or getting hair wet before applying is best?? Does the cuticle close after hair is dryed??
    Baking soda is not necessary IMO. What are you going to be using? Water works fine for many things, so does body heat.

    If it is a conditioning treatment, use it on wet or damp hair and bag it.

  5. #5
    Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Between the Cascades and Puget Sound
    Age
    60
    Posts
    29,856
    Length
    neck/hip/legs
    Type
    2a/F/M/iii

    Default Re: Opening the cuticle

    I think heat is best. Last time I did a deep treatment, I sat in a dry-heat sauna with the coconut oil, conditioner, and honey mixture in my hair. Awesome results!

  6. #6
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,707
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

    Default Re: Opening the cuticle

    Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I think heat is best. Last time I did a deep treatment, I sat in a dry-heat sauna with the coconut oil, conditioner, and honey mixture in my hair. Awesome results!
    So lots of steam. Maybe I will run my hot water in the bathroom and close the door

  7. #7
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods
    Posts
    18,795

    Default Re: Opening the cuticle

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    So lots of steam. Maybe I will run my hot water in the bathroom and close the door
    Steam is great but body heat IMO, under saran (cling wrap) or a bag, works very well, from experience. You could do both. Steam can be drying if you use too much. You do not need high heat.
    Last edited by ktani; April 12th, 2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    779
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: Opening the cuticle

    At first I thought you meant the cuticle on the finger nail, HEE HEE HEE!! I thought, WHAT????

  9. #9
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,707
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

    Default Re: Opening the cuticle

    Lol!

  10. #10
    Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Between the Cascades and Puget Sound
    Age
    60
    Posts
    29,856
    Length
    neck/hip/legs
    Type
    2a/F/M/iii

    Default Re: Opening the cuticle

    Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    So lots of steam. Maybe I will run my hot water in the bathroom and close the door
    Mine was a dry-heat sauna: hot but bearable, plenty of sweat, no steam.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •