Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some help

Length
    Pixie/52/Term
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Unhappy I need some help

Hi everyone,
    i can't seem to find any updos that aren't really heavy. I have always just worn an English braid but I need to start keeping my hair up. I find buns are so slicked to my head that they give me a headache and are just plain unflattering. I have searched hours for updos but I can't seem to find any that work on waist length THICK hair that is not a bun help!!
    Pixie...Chin...Shoulder...APL...BSL...Waist...Hip...TB...Classic...Knee...Term
    Scissor Free since Nov 2009

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Default Re: I need some help

Gibson tucks are nice, as are French twists. I think at waist I could do a lazy wrap bun, and a cheater's figure-8, and that was about it.
    Change is the only constant.

Sober Lush Extraordinair AnqeIicDemise's Avatar
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

My hair is thick enough that most buns take me longer to achieve simply because I can't get the ends to stick in right. I also have a sensitive scalp. I learned to adore the lazy wrap bun as it distributes the weight of the hair loosely around the crown of my head and it is secured with a stick or a decent sized birds beak. I now have enough hair to wrap the ends around once or twice. Back at bsl hair I'd let the ends stick out in a peacock flair.

I also was fond (and still am, actually) of dutch braiding my hair then arranging the lengths into a single or a double bun. Now that my braids reach waist length I weave the ends into my dutch braids like shoe laces and secure the two ends with a pony tail holder and tuck them in underneath the Xs. It is a nice, secure, weight distributed up do. I've worn this to a weekend LARP (as in 24/7 immersion game) and a migraine due to an uncomfortable bun was the *least* of my worries.

Any headaches I got during that game was the lack of food, dehydration and sleeplessness. (what a grand time!)

eye haelp mama kiep londry waerm.
    BSL|WSL | HP | not quite there CL |
    Moonstruck Tresses

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Bun placement helps. If I do a cinnamon or braided bun, it needs to be high on my head or it feels like it's dragging down. Chinese buns, Celtic knots, and nautilus buns can be lower.
    Have you tried milkmaid (Heidi) braids?

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Agreeing that bun placement is key. And though its still a bun a nautilus can be looser and still secure, you dont even need to gather any scalp hair if you dont find it comfortable. I find the lower the bun the heavier it feels.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Try a peacock twist. I wear it all the time, have worn it ever since hitting APL (or thereabouts). I'm almost TBL now and so the twist is folded a few times over, but it still holds with a simple (big) claw clip.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

You can always braid the hair, then updo it. It's lighter and tends to hold together better for the entire day. Use long hairpins, not short bobby pins. You can also do twin hair buns. That often looks really cute.
    heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Yes, splitting the hair into several sections and doing something with each section makes things feel lighter. Also a "fake crown braid" which is just a braid wrapped around the head.

Length
    32 in/37 in/32 in
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I do this a lot with a french or dutch braid for an anchor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnEBu...67B789D09D7138.

Interwoven double dutch braids also distribute the weight well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tQ5W0uI-2Y

I have the same problem. I do half-ups and twin braids a lot, but when I want it up, braiding before arranging helps. Try this:
    1. Divide hair in half, making the right half slightly bigger. Braid the right half.
    2. Bring the braid over to the left side. Make a braid on the left side, using the hair from the first braid as one of the strands.
    3. Bring it back over to the right and tuck the ends behind it.
    4. Pin the whole thing with 2 sticks or hair pins.

It holds all day for me and is comfortable. I call it a sideways folded braid.