Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! My baby girl has cradle cap (seborrheic dermatitis) (old thread)

Default Help! My baby girl has cradle cap (seborrheic dermatitis) (old thread)

DD2 who is about 7 months old has cradle cap or seborrheic dermatitis. Some say to soak the scalp with mineral oil or olive oil for 10-15 min then shampooing.

I already know that I WON'T be going anywhere near the mineral oil.

But does the rest of the above regimen sound about right? I also plan on finishing with an ACV rinse since some articles felt that fungus overgrowth contributes to cradle cap.

And I have some Aveeno shampoo+body wash. Can I use that as the shampoo? Do I need to brush while I shampoo to help the flakies come out?

Ugh, ugh, I'm so clueless b/c DD1 never had cradle cap...

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Re: Help! My baby girl has cradle cap (seborrheic dermatitis)

I used A&D ointment (a little goes a long way!) massaged onto the scalp and then a gentle baby comb to loosen the flakes. A mild shampoo after but it may take a bit before the hair isn't greasy.
    Lady Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Herb user/hair origamist icydove's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/ii

Before LHC and knowing the evils of mineral oil, I treated my DD's cradle cap by massaging creamy mineral oil on her scalp then washing it out with baby shampoo. Within a week, it was pretty much gone. I don't see why you couldn't use any other oil instead. I think the Aveeno body wash/shampoo should be fine. I would probably stick to using fingers instead of a brush for gentleness.
    Wash: shikakai and amla tea, Condition: hibiscus and elderflower tea with honey
    Leave-in: aloe vera gel and apricot kernel oil, Extras when needed: coconut oil and shea butter

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Oil is best, I would wonder about aveno on a young child though, but that is my celiac disease talking. I think about allergies and it has oats which I cannot use.

A very gentle brush would work, I used a plastic nail brush on my oldest when he had it. The bristles were soft plastic and very gentle. It was a hospital nailbrush.

ACV would be okay if diluted enough to be gentle.

Good luck!

On the edge of my forest!

Length
    15/15/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Last week I used coconut oil for my 9 month old daughters hair and it worked great! I put it on, left it there for about an hour and then combed it carefully before taking her to bath. It was all gone after this

As it used to be

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I used to leave olive oil on my son's scalp for a while, then gently loosened the flakes. He had it for many years: I know it's ugly, but try not to worry about it too much.

I have seborrheic dermatitis myself. Coincidentally, I saw a dermatologist about it yesterday. I mentioned that ACV rinses helped, and he said to get the most effect from it I should leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off.

If you use ACV on your daughter's scalp, be very careful to dilute it well. I actually 'burnt' my shoulders and chest, once, when my ACV rinse was a little too strong. It was a recommended dilution, but evidently too strong for me... baby skin is very delicate, as you know, so take care.

Good luck!
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.

Length
    30ish/47"/70+"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Baking soda and olive oil was the best mix for my daughter when she had a bout of it.
    Lady Saphira of the Crystal Wings in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

There's nothing WRONG with mineral oil. All it's doing is sealing the skin from the elements, allowing it to keep its natural moisture from being evaporated. I hate hearing AHHHHH mineral oil!!!! Our mohters, our grandmothers, our great grandmothers all used it, and none of us are dead or bald because of it.

That being said, I don't see why another heavy oil wouldn't work the same way, such as olive or coconut oil as was mentioned.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/whee!
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I use olive oil in our house and a very soft toothbrush to loosen the flakes. I've used mineral oil for the kids ears at times, wasn't aware it was a huge problem.

Length
    15/25/30
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I was an OB and neonatal nurse for years. When we did baby care classes in the unit, we always told parents mineral oil for cradle cap. Course, this was about 7 years ago, and I don't see how olive oil, well any oil, would be any different. A gentle brush, after letting the oil sit on the scalp a bit, and a gentle shampoo or rinse, and probably repeats, and in time it clears. Good luck!