Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To henna or not to henna?

Length
    chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default To henna or not to henna?

So here's my predicament...

I love love LOVE the look of hennaed hair. But the only red that I feel would look good on me would be dark dark reddish brown. Totally possible through henna and indigo but....

I have roots. I chemically dyed my hair awhile ago (several months) to dark brown. I just feel dark hair looks better on me since I have tanner skin. But my roots are growing out, and they're a light golden brown. It's a pretty color, but I don't know if it's for me.

Should I decide to henna, how do I go about doing it? Won't the henna/indigo mix dye my roots a lighter color? If so, I was thinking maybe I should wait until a month or so into summer, and try lightening up my dyed hair with chamomile and just basking in the sun a bit so they'd match more.

I don't know, any other suggestions?

Default Re: To henna or not to henna?

Why don't you try a product like ColorOops to remove (it's not bleach) the current dye on your hair and see if it then is more the same level as your roots and then use henna/indigo to get the color you want?

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

^^ I agree. If you dye with your hair as it is now, you will have bright orange roots and a darker cherry length.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I think if you do a mix with more indigo than henna, you wouldn't have any issues with brightness. You might not want to use pure henna, as that creates a more pure red than a mix of henna and other herbs. You can use pure henna and pure indigo, or get a pre-made mix like LUSH that has more indigo in it than henna (I love LUSH, in case you can't tell ) Either way, as always, do a test strand!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

So this color oops stuff doesn't damage your hair at all? Since my hair is lighter than the chemical dye..

I just read about it and it SAYS it doesn't... but I'm skeptical. I had color removed from my hair at a salon once (I went from dark brown to blonde...still kicking myself. I hated it) and it turned crazy shades of orange and yellow. That was over a year ago, but that couldn't have been good. Or maybe it wasn't bad, but the blonde dye they did over it that was damaging?

I am such a noob.

amaiaisabella, you're hair looks lovely. Maybe I will have to try this Lush stuff, too.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

The orange you got from the salon wasn't from the Oops....it was from the chemical dye they removed.

When you dye you hair, first thing that happens is your hair is bleached by the ammonia or peroxide in the dye. Removing the natural pigment allows the chemical dye molecules to deposit into the holes left in your hair shaft.

What happens when you use a color remover is it releases the chemical dye molecules from your hair, leaving the original damage uncovered.

It's a good idea to use a protein rebuilder product to help fill in those holes before you dye again. Follow with a good DT.

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

JamieRose - check out my picture album for before and after photos. My hair is dark brown, but coloring it had it fading out to a much lighter shade ( before photo). After a few henna-ings, a couple full head and now root touch ups only, I am at the shade I want and roots barely show - except for the grey! Anyway, it should give you an idea of what you would end up with with a 50/50 henna/indigo with a dash of alma. Good luck! Strand test to be sure...
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

has left the building
    Length
    short/22/waist

henna!!

but be sure to adjust it with other colors, try buxus, i hear it's gentler than indigo

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JamieRose View Post
    amaiaisabella, you're hair looks lovely. Maybe I will have to try this Lush stuff, too.
    Thank you very much I believe LUSH gives samples when you're buying other things, so that might be an option for you.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

manderly, thank you for the explanation. That was about a year ago, and for the last couple of months I've been getting a deep condition every other week, and doing regular SMT's in between. I use a protein moistureizer, but it's full of sulfates, so I think I may switch to trying a mayo or egg white treatment to see if it works better. I also had 2-3 inches timmed off since then. Dying my hair was a stupid decision... never again.

I'm going to wait until summer to henna, I decided but I am going to do it! I just want to be able to apply it outside in my yard the first time I do it, I've heard it's very messy. (And I have a pretty private, blocked in backyard, ha)