Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do animals shed in the Spring?

Length
    BSL/HIP+/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/iii

Default Do animals shed in the Spring?

Hi all. I very rarely post anymore, but I am really worried about the amount of shedding that is going on with me. I recently started on Wellbutrin and wonder if this is the problem. I have finally reached my goal of growing out my layers and am down to hip with healthy ends which I am so happy about, but I wonder if these meds are worth the shedding or is it common to shed like this, this time of year? I want to get down to TB as my final goal, but want thick ends in doing so. Is anyone else shedding much more than usual and is it due to the Spring? Thank you everyone for your help!

Tina

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Do animals shed in the Spring?

hahaha! my cat is shedding so much right now that there is always fur floating in the air! i have brushed her i don't know how many times for a few days and it is getting better - i was shedding earlier in the month too, and so was my dog - but i think that animals must DEFINITELY shed in the spring!!!
    it would only make sense because they need to grow more fur or hair for colder months

that is what i've been telling myself and my cat anyway
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    BSL/HIP+/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/iii

Thanks ratgirl! I don't have cats anymore, but I remember the way they would shed ALL THE TIME! I would have fur all over the place - I couldn't keep up with them! I guess we are all mammals so it makes for curious conversation. I just wish my body hair would shed! My Italian genes have made it that I can't keep up with the amount of shaving, tweezing and epilating I need to do on a daily basis!

Tina

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

wow - i am quite the opposite of you with body hair - maybe because i have some american indian in me - i have hardly no hair on my body and most of it is almost straight! i don't even shave under my arms and now most of my leg hair is missing too! my mom has hardly no eyebrows now that she is in her 60's! can you believe it? i still have LOTS of eyebrows though

oh and i'm hoping that zoey doesn't shed like this ALL the time! but she is pregnant and she wasn't shedding when i got her - so hopefully she won't be a full time shedder... poor girl, she is SO big and now she has all this fur floating around and it makes her sneeze! the picture below was taken before she started shedding so much and was less preggers
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

With three long haired cats there is fur everywhere. This goes on all the time! They require a lot of grooming like their owner. The amount of their human shedding depends on gentle handling, no sls (etc because of recent allergies), vitamins and a good diet. Not seasonal at all!
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I don't think that humans shed seasonally either. But the animals certainly do! I have enough dog hair collecting around here to knit puppies (note to self - schedule a session with the broom or vacuum cleaner).

Type
    1b/F/i

Horses do.

I came home today covered in light brown hairs.

Dogs, at least mine, are more irregular, but they shed seasonally too. Then again all those animals depend on their fur to keep them warm and shed according to that. I have not found those kind of seasonal changes in me.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Yeah, our cats would shed in spring and summer like CRAZY, and then grow in a thick new coat for the winter. Their winter fur was lovely, all thick and gorgeous....

That's why spring sheds make sense - also there are autumn sheds to make way for all the new fur...:-)

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I live on a farm and of course our farm animals shed in the spring. Our farm mammals include horses, donkeys, pigs and lots and lots of goats, and dogs and cats. We had to sell the cows because of the devastating drought.

Anyway, with humans, part of the reason for the head being covered is not just for warmth but also for protection from the sun as well as for decoration or mate selection. So we don't lose all our hair at once.

Yes, the Welbutrin can cause it. I take psyche and seizure meds and do have hair loss with certain ones. I compensate by eating well and taking suppliments. Also, tell your doc.

a new journey begins