Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will my hair ever grow back (after ringworm)?

Length
    bob/cbone/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Default Will my hair ever grow back (after ringworm)?

Ok so over 2 weeks ago I posted about my bald spot and my battle with ringworm. Anyway, I was on Laprox cream and my spot has increased in size, and I have another spot forming on the very top of my head, so now I have one very large bald patch and a tiny one just starting to grow.

One website said that the hair may not grow back... Has anyone here had this and has had their hair grow back? Needing some help here. I see my Doctor on Wednesday about going on an oral anti-fungal medication. I am just so scared I will have this bald patch forever.

Henndigo Conehead! mugglemomof3's Avatar
    Length
    19/27"/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Will my hair ever grow back (after ringworm)?

I'm sure some will think this is one of those old wives tales, but it sure doesn't hurt to try.

Our kittens that we got from the pound in November came down with Ringworm diagnosed late December. I spent a week putting on the vile stuff from the vet, and then a rancher's wife overheard me talking to my friend in the line at the grocery store, and she told me to bathe the cats and ourselves ("shampoo" with it too) in buttermilk. She swore by it (and she was really old so I figured she might know what she was talking about). Said that was the only thing they used on the ranch for ringworm. Ever.

So we got out of line and went to the back of the store and added cartons of buttermilk to my basket! We "dipped" the cats in buttermilk only once, and I didn't rinse it out very well, which may be the key, actually. We towel dried the cats and then left them to sit in the sunny spot by the front door for an hour. Their hair dried all clumped together and stiff, but by the next morning they had licked themselves "rinsed" and their hair was soft and silky again.

So, that was early January. It's late March now, and every bit of their fur has grown back. I had three ringworms on my arms and legs, my daughter and one of my two sons had one ringworm each on their torsos. The other son didn't get anything. I never did treat the house or carpets (except to vacuum alot) and I consider our outbreak cured.

Like I said. Buttermilk won't hurt you to "shampoo" with. You might even try not rinsing it out for a couple of hours, and then only rinsing with water. ???

Good luck with whatever you try, and I'm sure some other members will come along soon to add their own success stories.

ETA: Oh yeah. I did heat up the buttermilk in a huge plastic bowl just a tiny bit to take the edge off before I ladeled it over the cats. HTH
    Last edited by mugglemomof3; March 28th, 2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Lady Alohomora of the Unfettered Sojurn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Make a paste of raw onions in the food processor and apply it to the bald spot. Keep it on for say an hour or so and wash it off. I saw this recipe in an old book.

Aisha25 should be having more information. May be you should ask her. Because I have seen the same recipe mentioned in one of her posts.

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

When I got our kitten she had balding patches because of the ringworm. After it was gone she her hair fully recovered. Don't get scared, be positive. It was hard to get rid of ringworm because there were new places contaminated with it. It finally stopped after I got powder from pet store, it was supposed for washing animal barns. I sprayed all the furniture, closets and curtains with it.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Of course it will grow back! I'm going by the cat's experience, right enough, but the fur always grew back on various animals we have had - it just DOES!

Yes, it will grow back - I don't see why it shouldn't, to be honest. Just be totally confident that it will, and your hair will recover beautifully. You've worked out what it is, you have medication, you're on the best hair site on the planet - you are going to be just fine!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm sure it will come back, but it might take a while. It sounds like your body is still dealing with the infection, and then you'll have to wait for the follicles to kick in again. Once you've cleared the infection, you could always try applying monistat to the spots to encourage them to grow faster, but I'd just follow the doctor's instructions until everything's OK.

Oh, I'd be wary of the onion paste. It may perhaps work, but I remember a post once where someone did an onion treatment on her hair and her hair still smelled strongly like onions (especially when wet) several months later. I don't remember ever hearing if she managed to get rid of it.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I'm sure it will come back, but it might take a while. It sounds like your body is still dealing with the infection, and then you'll have to wait for the follicles to kick in again. Once you've cleared the infection, you could always try applying monistat to the spots to encourage them to grow faster, but I'd just follow the doctor's instructions until everything's OK.

Oh, I'd be wary of the onion paste. It may perhaps work, but I remember a post once where someone did an onion treatment on her hair and her hair still smelled strongly like onions (especially when wet) several months later. I don't remember ever hearing if she managed to get rid of it.
    would not know about the smell. I have seen the recipe in indian medicine books. I used to use it with coconut milk long ago. I used to grind fresh coconut and poppy seeds(khas khas) and onion paste and apply it to hair as a pack. Rinse out after about an hour. I do not remember my hair smelling strong. We use aromatic herbs mixed with shikakai and make a paste and apply it to hair to wash out the coconut milk.

I never had any problem like patches. I saw in the indian medicine book this recipe for hairpack to promote hairgrowth and followed it for a long long time. It did wonders for the hair as a conditioner

Length
    bob/cbone/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Thanks for all the encouragement, I will keep updating if my hair recovers or not.

Type
    1c/C/iii

My cousin had ringworm on his head once and when his treatment was over and ringworm was gone he grew all his hair back.I guess it also depends on the person too though.
    Going for tailbone length & beyond

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

My kittens came with it. They didn't get bad hairloss, but it grew back quickly. I used a dilute TTO bath on them. My sister swears by Jason TTO shampoo for dandruff fungus.

My dog has had it (she got it from a person!) and her hair grew back quickly. I used genetian violet on her. Strangely enough cut hair does NOT grow back quickly on her. She has some shortish hairs that haven't gotten full length since I cut them over a year ago, but hairs lost from the root grew back quickly.

Despite all of my pets having it, DH and I have been lucky enough to avoid it, so I can't tell you any tales about human hair.

Buttermilk would also work the same way yogurt helps female yeast infections.
    When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy”. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life.