Page 61 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight and Silky Thread

Length
    apl/bsl/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Straight and Silky Thread

I have very straight, very fine and very oily hair that is in bad shape. I just bought L'Oreal Ever Strong shampoo because it said Sulfate-Free on the bottle (no time for label reading with the kids and I was all out of shampoo). I still need to find a good conditioner. Who has had good results with what?

Length
    14/25/31
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Do we have a straight hair thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamernz View Post
    What I think is great about our hair is how volatile it is. We can have sleek, straight hair that people envy with simply a hair brush, we can have soft s-waves or defined ringlets with just wet hair, bobby pins and rags. I guess cos my hair is not so fine or thin I can more easily see these positives but we all have them!!! Straight hair is shinier and allows us to have any hair we want without heat!!!! Plus updos are a bit easier to achieve, (when not too slippery lol). As much as I often feel painfully envious of wavies and curlies, it is a lot harder for them to manipulate the kind of hair they have. We all have beautiful hair so let's rejoice and focus on the positives not the negatives We get the best of all worlds!
    I totally agree... I can do a lot with my hair. I do s curls or braid waves or curlers and then if I want it straight you just wet it. I've really come to love my hair texture. This was not always the case though. I grew up with my sister telling me I could never have long hair cause it would get stringy...and that I need to by volumizing products cause my hair is so flat. Partly for this reason I got a body wave (perm) a couple of years ago and am still growing out about 4inches worth of it. We should all really be grateful for what we have! I can't wait till all my hair is back to being a 1a.

Length
    18/bob/n/a
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Do we have a straight hair thread?

Agreed with all of the above! I may have thin, fine hair, but I can fake volume really well. What's more, it molds really well to curls without heat (after a half hour in a bun in clean hair I get voluminous waves) and can be straightened with just a touch of water.

It took me a while to come to love it, but I wouldn't ever change it!

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

My hair won't do much dry either 1a here.. My hair won't hold a curl from heat at all, but if I put it in rags and sleep on it it will. It is flipping a bit at the shoulders so maybe a bit 1b but I guess I won't know till it grows more.
    The frizz and flyaways and poof are a problem though, and I have never been able to wear lip gloss. Oh well!

And I did finally manage a french roll today! I had to do it while it was still damp for it to hold.

Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Question: What are fairy tale ends?

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I thought part of the definition of 1a was that it really won't hold a wave. So I'm sitting here sulking because I really don't have versatile hair. It's straight. That's that. There is no putting waves into it! If you think you're a 1a but your hair holds a wave longer than mine, like ten minutes , perhaps you're not a 1a? There is no way for me to put any body at all into my hair.

FrozenBritannia: Fairy-tale ends are ends that trail off into wisps, or V-shape, or that have a natural taper. I think most people's hemlines would do this if left completely alone for years. But Arwen and Eowyn come to mind from Lord of the Rings.
    Last edited by MsBubbles; September 23rd, 2011 at 12:03 PM.

Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MsBubbles View Post

FrozenBritannia: Fairy-tale ends are ends that trail off into wisps, or V-shape, or that have a natural taper. I think most people's hemlines would do this if left completely alone for years. But Arwen and Eowyn come to mind from Lord of the Rings.
    Oh, okay! thanks

Length
    Pixi/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Newbie here! I'm slowly working my way through this thread, SO USEFUL. I never had anyone to commiserate with and share straight hair tips with me! Now I feel like I have a nice solid starting point...you know...after 24 years, hehe!

Length
    bsl+/bsl/IDK:)
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rowanne View Post
    I think my greasiness might have something to do with the SLS / SLES shampoos I've been using... I'll stop using them to see if it helps, I'll let you guys know afterwards
    I just want to share with you that I posted the above message about a year ago and I've been able to stretch the time between my washes! I now wash my about hair every third day, occasionally every fourth. For me this is huge since I used to wash my hair DAILY. When I joined the forums it was every second day which I thought was the best I could achieve.

Now I can't really say if the key was not using SLS / SLES anymore or because my scalp got slowly used to fewer washings, or both.

BSL - Mid-back - Waist - Hip - Tailbone

Length
    18/bob/n/a
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MsBubbles View Post
    I thought part of the definition of 1a was that it really won't hold a wave. So I'm sitting here sulking because I really don't have versatile hair. It's straight. That's that. There is no putting waves into it! If you think you're a 1a but your hair holds a wave longer than mine, like ten minutes , perhaps you're not a 1a? There is no way for me to put any body at all into my hair.
    Really!? If that's true I don't know what I'll think then, because my hair has held curl for as long as I can remember, but it's soo stick straight (just look at my avatar ).