Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I leave henna on for less time to get light/subtler color?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Can I leave henna on for less time to get light/subtler color?

Just a question, that might end up being hypothetical...I did a hairbrush test with 75% henna and 25% cassia and oh my gosh, it is so beautiful! It's a light copper that today, second day, has become a bit deeper. However, I might want it just a touch less intense. Like I said, not even sure about that, but considering it as an option.

I left it on for 6-7 hours. If I left it on for 4-5 hours instead, would it just stain a little less? I would rather it end up a little lighter, possibly fade quicker, and need to reapply, than have it be too dark or intense.

I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I know either way it's going to turn out great!

MBL
    > Goal: Waist / Tailbone
    2b/fine/ii

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Can I leave henna on for less time to get light/subtler color?

I usually left mine on for half an hour and it had a pretty tough stain already.

If you want a light coloring. Develop a few spoonfuls of henna in some tea or water. Then add plenty - and I mean plenty - of conditioner. Preferably not a runny one because you need to apply it to your hair. Then let that sit for as long as you want; it's called a henna gloss and they are slightly less intense.

In any case: test strand!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thanks! I considered a henna gloss but I don't think it's as intense as I want, I suppose I'm falling somewhere in the middle lol. I will probably like the henna/cassia mix and might just need to adjust to imagining it on my head. It is so pretty. I always worry too much that my hair will be too bright, since I'm naturally a strawberry blonde, but I think I'm overreacting

MBL
    2b/fine/ii

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

The final color depends on your starting hair color, and how much lawsone your hair takes up. If you make a potent mix and leave it on a long time, you'll get a dark stain. I henna gloss my roots every 2 or 3 weeks, enough to stain my ash brown to a red hue. Very weak glosses tint my gray hair a peachy color and don't affect the brown.

Sometimes I mix it too weak on accident. (I just thaw what I have and stir it up in a dish. Sometimes I dilute henna that I've already diluted and frozen! oopsie! It still comes out good enough to blend in my roots, and I can mix it stronger next time. )

All henna stains are bright for 4 or 5 days after the mud comes off, then darken to a deeper, more brownish tone. That's normal and happens every single time. There is nothing you can do to prevent it, and additional hennas will only darken your hair further.

IMHO, you can always add more henna, but once it's in, you can't get it back out. Proceed with caution.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

That's what I thought, I can always add more! I see members who henna who don't have super dark hair despite doing it for years...doesn't that mean it doesn't have to darken each time? They must just be doing their roots? I would hate it if my hair just kept getting darker and darker, I want this copper color.

MBL
    2b/fine/ii

Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I hear you. I'd prefer mine lighter, but it's about as light as I can get it because my starting color is medium ash brown. (It'll get lighter as I age, if you follow my meaning? My temples are quite gray and a nice, bright copper!) I do my roots as they grow out because the ashiness really bothers me. --My hair used to be bright strawberry blonde, but ashed and darkened in my 20's. I tried, but never could get used to the ash brown hair. It looks pretty on other people, but I felt strange and unattractive with it.

henna keeps it
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I was a bright strawberry blonde too! Sometimes it was more coppery. Mine started going white around 22 (I'm 28.) It runs in my family, both dad and grandma were white as snow by 35! I was like, heck no! lol. So I think I have a better chance of it staying somewhat lighter on white-blonde hair? I don't mind depth, I actually prefer the copper of my teen years to the light strawberry blonde, I just don't want to be auburn again (like my profile pic) It's pretty but I like some brightness! The result from my hairbrush so far has been really lovely, definitely browned a little but still quite bright copper. I think some brown lends it a more natural look anyway

MBL
    2b/fine/ii

Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyGinger View Post
    I was a bright strawberry blonde too! Sometimes it was more coppery. Mine started going white around 22 (I'm 28.) It runs in my family, both dad and grandma were white as snow by 35! I was like, heck no! lol. So I think I have a better chance of it staying somewhat lighter on white-blonde hair? I don't mind depth, I actually prefer the copper of my teen years to the light strawberry blonde, I just don't want to be auburn again (like my profile pic) It's pretty but I like some brightness! The result from my hairbrush so far has been really lovely, definitely browned a little but still quite bright copper. I think some brown lends it a more natural look anyway
    Shoot! You'll be fine. Henna will make it drop-dead gorgeous! I wish I had a lighter base to work with! *covet*

henna keeps it
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I look forward to sharing the results!!

MBL
    2b/fine/ii

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

sitting with the henna on my head and had to come say...omg is this what its like for you super-long ladies when you wear your hair up?? its made my hair so heavy, its crazy! just a funny thought i had. my hair is only shoulder-length, whats it going to be like to henna APL or BSL? ahh. lol

MBL
    2b/fine/ii