Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing out a short layered bob-advice please!

Default Growing out a short layered bob-advice please!

Hi

I am now 6-8 weeks past my time for normal trim of a short layered at the back bob. My fringe has grown out I grew that out last year while I kept the bob style. Now I want it long, so I am wearing the fringe back with small hair clips in a quiff type thing and letting the rest hang down. Would you advise just leaving the whole thing to grow and not trimming round the bottom to even it all up till its grown a fair bit, say between chin and shoulder as its just on chin now? anyone grown this style out and what did you do?

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Default Re: Growing out a short layered bob-advice please!

I grew out from a pixie and was at a chin-length bob when I found LHC. I carried on having trims but just spaced them further apart. It took me 3 years to go from chin-length bob to just past waist.

You will undoubtedly grow your hair longer, quicker if you don't have trims, but that was how I did it because my hair is quite thick with a slight wave and looks very untidy at shorter lengths unless it's professionally trimmed into some sort of style (and yes, I am vain).

My "3rd anniversary thread" has photos if you're interested.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
    I grew out from a pixie and was at a chin-length bob when I found LHC. I carried on having trims but just spaced them further apart. It took me 3 years to go from chin-length bob to just past waist.

You will undoubtedly grow your hair longer, quicker if you don't have trims, but that was how I did it because my hair is quite thick with a slight wave and looks very untidy at shorter lengths unless it's professionally trimmed into some sort of style (and yes, I am vain).

My "3rd anniversary thread" has photos if you're interested.

wow your hair is soooooooooo thick and lovely I can only dream of such locks! I have fine hair but I am determined thanks for the reply I am gonna see how it looks in 3 months and if its raggy then get it evened up nothing major trim wise as you say less trims equals faster goals, but like you I am vain lol

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I am growing out a bob and have chosen not to cut the layering out. I suppose whether it is a good idea to trim it out depends on your hair (you mgiht want to put in your descriptors) and how much you can stand it to be uneven. As you can see from my siggy, the old layers do interesting things to my hemline. I have days where I dig it and days where i despise it.
    after henna, no 'cones, no sulfates, my hair no longer tries to strangle me in my sleep. I guess we can be friends now.
    Google+

Miss Blue Head. :) BlackfootHair's Avatar
    In front of the mirror looking for whites.
    Length
    23/Apl/35
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

When I grow out a layered hair cut I do tend to trim the bottom if the layers are so vastly different I feel like I'm growing out a mullet.
    Rest in peace, little kitty.

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BlackfootHair View Post
    When I grow out a layered hair cut I do tend to trim the bottom if the layers are so vastly different I feel like I'm growing out a mullet.
    Yes, having done this several times, once the sides are SO much shorter than the back that you can't wear it down, then I'd be inclined to trim. Then again it sounds like yours is shorter at the back, so I guess it's all down to whether you're happy with it...

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BlackfootHair View Post
    Mmmm, I did rock the mullet for a while. Well a quasi mullet because the very front was the longest so when it was down it was like a mullet where the ends were a frown. Fortunately the mullet stage passed quickly.
    after henna, no 'cones, no sulfates, my hair no longer tries to strangle me in my sleep. I guess we can be friends now.
    Google+

Length
    chin/APL/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I'm in the process of growing out a layered bob too. I'm just below shoulder length now. I've been growing it out since last June, and have had a trim in August and in January.

When I started I let it grow for a good six months after the August trim because I knew I would have to get rid of the inverted shape. At one point I trimmed off the long pieces at the front myself (they were significantly longer than the rest - they would probably be at APL if I let them be) but basically kept the bob shape going until it was shoulder length.

I've been to my hair stylist once since, and she suggested removing the angle in stages so I wouldn't lose much length - I got her to reduce it by about half in January, and will get the rest done later. At the same time she also did something with my layers so they come all they way around to the front, instead of just being in the back (it lessened the stacked appearance, and I'm intending to keep a little bit of layering, at least for now, so I didn't mind).

Anyway, there's a few pics of my album that maybe will give you an idea of how the shape is progressing, if you're interested.
    May 2009

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Every time I've grown my hair out from pixie (three times now) I've had frequent trims. I just don't care for the extremely uneven look you get when you're growing out extremely layered hair. I just keep having it trimmed to about shoulder length until most of the layers are gone; then I can wait until it's longer before finishing the evening-up process. If you have too many different lengths, you just can't do anything with your hair that looks nice.

Length
    15"/15"/29
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm growing out an angle cut right now, a bob where the front is longer than the back. I found that, to some extent, it's evening up a little bit on it's own. And I'm not planning to have a trim to even out all the layers until it's long enough for me to have a full poneytail and do some updo's, because if I trim now it will increase the period of time that I have to go through this ackward stage.

For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
    For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it.
    For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it. -Ivan Panin