Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming question

Length
    16/sh/?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Default Trimming question

I am a new member but I am sooooooo excited about growing my hair. I had given up since I was told I had baby fine hair and "you can't grow it."

I was shocked to find out that my hair is fine but not thin!

Anyway, I only have about 3 to 4 inches of new growth since last year. I get my hair trimmed every 2 months or so and since I was not actively trying to grow it I did not pay attention to how much was cut. I would say it was about 1/2 inch.

I am now taking good care of my hair, bought herbs and all kind of fun stuff and I am on a mission to have long hair.

I think I still need to trim but how often? So for those of you who trim any advice???

Long Haired Bible Thumper Debra83's Avatar
    Length
    ear/bsl/HIP
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

Default Re: Trimming question

I self-trim when I notice my ends (I have layers) are sticking up way too much. I think they do that when they dried out or split. So, I "dust" all the hair (which I believe means to trim a very tiny bit of all the ends - even less than half an inch). And then I'm good to go! I notice it about every 6-7 weeks, but I haven't really noticed it lately, and I'm probably due for another one soon.
    Debra LHBT
    December 25, 2013 - length check -12t/1 cut
    Lady Aedos of the Pureheart Grace in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    ears/36.5/Knees
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Hello and Welcome! I do not trim unless I have more split ends than I can clip myself(we here call this a S&D search and destroy) I have not had a trim in 2 years.

But, on the other hand some folks trim a quarter to a hlaf inch twice a year.

Imo, the myth that you HAVE to trim is just that.

Good luck on growing your hair. It looks like you have a great start!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

This is a summary of my experience with trimming:
    I started my journey to long hair getting a trim every 6-8 weeks. I averaged 4-3/4 inches length gain per year on that schedule. Then I got trims every 3 months and averaged 5-1/2 inches length gain per year. I was getting 1/4 to 1/2 inch trimmed off each time.

The year after that I got a lot of length cut off over several large trims and maintained my length while getting rid of a lot of ugly splitting ends.

Since July 18, 2008, I have not trimmed, except for cutting off individual split ends or damage. I gained 4 inches of length in the first six months. The next measurement is in April.

I don't think my hair would be growing so fast right now if I had not trimmed off the splitting ends as often as I did. But of course I cannot prove that.

Length
    sl/apl/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I think it just depends on your hair. Some people have hair that hardly ever splits, and some have hair that splits if you look at it wrong. I wanted to go without trims for about a year, but I started noticing way too many split ends; much more than I could cut out with S&D, so I'm going to try and cut a half inch every 6 months or whenever my split ends get out of hand.
    It also depends on if you want to keep an even hemline or not. Some pieces of your hair will probably grow faster than others.
    I speculate that my hair splits easily because it is fine, but I may be incorrect. I used to straighten it a couple times a week back before I found TLHC, so it may just be super damaged.
    I recently figured out that my hair is wavy/curly!
    Seeking advice for my 2c/3a/3b F curls which easily become 2a/2b in wind and are 1c/2a if combed while wet and not scrunched. (The reason it took me so long to notice I was curly!)

Length
    birth/32/?
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Why not just try and see how long you can go without trimming with your hair still looking and behaving nice? I don't think I've trimmed mine in almost a year and it is fine.

Length
    birth/32/?
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Also, you may have it easier because you have dark hair. In my own hair, it is always the blond ones that split or break...hardly ever the darker ones like red or brown.

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

My current trimming routine is every sixth months mainly to maintain a U- shaped hemline and to bridge the gap between my hemline and my longest layers. I plan to trim about a quarter of an inch next month.
    Lady Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16/sh/?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

Thank you for all your answers! I think I will hold off trimming and see how things go. I just don't want to keep on cutting the growth.

It was so disapointing looking at pict. of last year to notice my hair is not that much longer...so I will try to space my trims....maybe do it myself...will see.

Thanks to all of you...you are a fine bunch. I am so glad I found this place!

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I have given up trims altogether and my goal is to make it to October 2009 (that would be a whole year) in the mean time I do S&D but that might be hard for you since your hair is a little short to be holding the ends in front of your face and focusing up close. I promised myself that I would only get a trim if the ends looked ratty and split.

There are things you can do to baby the ends if they seem dry or brittle so don't get discouraged!

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011