Thread: Why does my hair feel dry after washing?

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Why does my hair feel dry after washing?

No matter what I use, generally, my hair is quite silky after I wash it. Anywhere from later that day to several days after, it begins to feel dry on the ends, especially in places where it's coarser hair.

I've tried glycerine-free conditioners, too. Since I live in a very dry climate, I heard it can release the moisture from your hair into the air, so I cut that out. What else am I doing wrong?

I've wanted to cut down on washing, but it's so hard when it feels like this!

Thanks.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Why does my hair feel dry after washing?

Have you considered leave in conditioners? Or perhaps lightly oiling those extra dry ends.

I'm sure the others members will have some better suggestions.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I have found that oiling the last few inches with a pea sized amount of coconut oil really helps. I think that is a lot compared to what most people here use, but my ends just soak it up. Most of the time they look oily when I go to bed and it has been totally absorbed by morning.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

You're a wavy, so your hair just needs more moisture than straight hair.

Leave-in conditioner (I like Goth Rosary for my fine, thin ends), oiling (LIGHTLY), and other similar things (I'm experimenting with Fox's Conditioning Cream and liking it a lot) help me avoid this situation.

I've found that I can lightly oil my hair after washing, every time it gets damp between washings (I put it up for bath and shower), and oil more towards the end of my wash cycle. Since I can get away with washing every 5-8 days depending on what I've done with my hair, I do feel the need to give the ends and length some extra moisture. My crown does not need it at all.

Oh, I might add that I do not brush, except at the end of the wash cycle when I am going to be wearing my hair up, so this helps add moisture that I might otherwise get from sebum...

hth!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Alright, then. Makes sense.

Speaking of Fox's CC, where do they usually sell shea butter?

ETA: Oops, haha. Thanks for the advice, BTW, esp. Katze. That did help.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Miss Blue Head. :) BlackfootHair's Avatar
    In front of the mirror looking for whites.
    Length
    23/Apl/35
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Oh wow...I never knew glycerine could release moisture from the hair if you are in a dry climate!!! Crap...is that what went wrong with my hair? hmm...

Oh, and yes, coconut oil is lovely. Especially on damp hair.
    Rest in peace, little kitty.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

What brand of shampoo and conditioner are you using? Can you list the ingredients here? What else is your routine?
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RancheroTheBee View Post
    Alright, then. Makes sense.

Speaking of Fox's CC, where do they usually sell shea butter?

ETA: Oops, haha. Thanks for the advice, BTW, esp. Katze. That did help.
    you're welcome. African stores should sell shea butter, just make sure it's natural (no fragrance or other weird stuff). Or a natural food store with a good selection.

I find even my fine hair EATS the Fox's cream. It's much easier to use than oil, and I am putting it on the length every day. My next experiment is to try with BF's hair, if he will let me.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

This is weird. My ends have felt crunchy since the begging of time. ALWAYS. And only few things have stopped the crunchies. My latest discovery was making a tea of cardamon herb (this has peroxide and will lighten hair though), strain it, and then i sprayed it (to lighten) on my ends and left it in. It doesn't crunch now! BUT it makes it more tangly if i use too much everywhere, yet smooth and moisturised??? ( i put it as a paste on my hands and they were left a bit more moisturised so i think this is the best humectant ever but not stick like honey!)
    It's worth a try right?
    Oils only make them smoother, but STILL they are ALWAYS crunchy, i also have really good conditioner and CWC now and my hair is very very happy!
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have never had crunchy ends -- ever. Until last week. It was then that I tried Shikai products and my hair felt like straw and the ends became hard and dry. I went right back to my Aubrey products and the problem was cured instantaneously. That is why I was wondering what brand of products Ranchero is using and what is in them. Just switching products, without having to do anything fancy, can make a HUGE difference in hair quality.
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights