Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Video tutorial: The Hypno Bun.

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: Video tutorial: The Hypno Bun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Bah! I'm at work, so you're going to have to wait

It is really comfy though

I guess I have to wait until the morning then. *pouts*
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Length
    BSL/hips/hips
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Nightshade said:
    I was having issues with this too. When you reach through the loop, try to grab the hair just past the base of where it's anchored to your head, the first place you can get your fingers around the coil without catching scalp hair.
    Good suggestion! OK, I tried that and it worked but the bun looks like a round knob. I wonder why I can't get it to work.

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.” Calvin and Hobbes

Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Since I finally joined, I feel that I should mention that your Hypno bun is incredible. I bought a stick from Nightshade, who then linked me to this as an example for what I could do with said stick - and it was wonderful. I never had anything that kept my hair up for the entire working day; your Hypno bun can keep my hair in place for as long as I'm expected to be upright (unless I knock my stick free). I now am entirely in love with hair sticks and am expanding my collection.

Length
    20 in/44.5/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Since I finally joined, I feel that I should mention that your Hypno bun is incredible.
    Ooooh--thanks for bumping this one up! It is fantastic, and I was able to make it work with my iii not-quite hip length hair! (though I snapped a plastic stick when I was practicing...)

I'm wearing this one tomorrow!!
    43.5 in....monthly 1/4-inch trims since Dec 2009
    Finally embracing my locks in their natural beauty
    "...for if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her..."

Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Glad to have helped out! I also snapped a plastic stick when I tried to make the bun with wet hair - for a while, all I had was one of Nightblooming's wooden hairsticks (and I was wearing the Hypno bun nearly every day) - and that never had a problem. I have since acquired two small thin metal hairsticks from a renfest (they were supposed to be part of a neat hair toy made of wires that looked like a collapsable cage for hair - could look like a sedate bun cover or a fancy pony tail holder, etc, but sadly, I had too much hair for it) and two bamboo Nightblooming hairsticks - neither the metal nor the bamboo seem to have a problem with the bun! Since I am, er, hard on my hair toys, I managed to snap two other plastic hair sticks before I properly knew how to use them, just carrying them around, so - I figure the flaw was mostly in the hairsticks..

Length
    20 in/44.5/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Glad to have helped out! I also snapped a plastic stick when I tried to make the bun with wet hair - for a while, all I had was one of Nightblooming's wooden hairsticks (and I was wearing the Hypno bun nearly every day) - and that never had a problem. I have since acquired two small thin metal hairsticks from a renfest (they were supposed to be part of a neat hair toy made of wires that looked like a collapsable cage for hair - could look like a sedate bun cover or a fancy pony tail holder, etc, but sadly, I had too much hair for it) and two bamboo Nightblooming hairsticks - neither the metal nor the bamboo seem to have a problem with the bun! Since I am, er, hard on my hair toys, I managed to snap two other plastic hair sticks before I properly knew how to use them, just carrying them around, so - I figure the flaw was mostly in the hairsticks..
    Ha...yes, I was practicing with my hair wet (I was at the computer browsing LHC while I let my hair dry a bit before going to bed ), so that's probably the problem!

I am really missing my favorite wood hairstick, which I lost. I don't have a budget for hairtoys right now, so I'm trying to make some wood ones out of chopsticks to get me by. Sigh.

So, here are a couple of variations I did of this bun...

one with a half-up at the top...

and one by itself.

I really love the shape and stability of this bun!

Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Hm! The half up looks interesting, but the bun looks like it was awkwardly placed? As if it might irritate the nape? But I don't tend to do anything complicated with my hair, so...

I was reading about DIY hairtoys and mention was made of chopsticks (cheap ones you get with take out) and nail polish. I'm tempted to try it because I went through a phase where I bought a lot of nail polish - which I don't wear at all now, and I have a lot of chopsticks... In case the chopsticks you have are too rough, maybe the polish is an option? My chopsticks seem kind of long - even with Nightblooming's hairsticks, I kept snagging the ends on things.. ^^V I'm a bit clumsy too, so that doesn't help.

I tried the figure-8 bun and that also seemed pretty secure when I got it right - and only needed one stick! Though it seemed to pull more than the Hypno-Bun.

Length
    20 in/44.5/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Hm! The half up looks interesting, but the bun looks like it was awkwardly placed? As if it might irritate the nape?
    Hehe...yes, I took that pic when I was practicing the night before, but when I wore it the next day with the half up, I positioned the bun so its top was at the base of the combs, so it was higher...good eyes for that!

I was reading about DIY hairtoys and mention was made of chopsticks (cheap ones you get with take out) and nail polish.
    So far I've used sandpaper to take the roughness off the cheap ones. It definitely helps.

I'm still trying to figure out what to use for colors, figured I would stain some of them with wood stain I have here, but hadn't thought of nail polish for colors (thought I'd have to find some craft paint or something).

I tried the figure-8 bun and that also seemed pretty secure when I got it right - and only needed one stick! Though it seemed to pull more than the Hypno-Bun.
    Yes, that's another one I'm working on. With my layers, I'm still having trouble getting it to stay. Just another inch or two should make it work great!

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Since I finally joined, I feel that I should mention that your Hypno bun is incredible. I bought a stick from Nightshade, who then linked me to this as an example for what I could do with said stick - and it was wonderful. I never had anything that kept my hair up for the entire working day; your Hypno bun can keep my hair in place for as long as I'm expected to be upright (unless I knock my stick free). I now am entirely in love with hair sticks and am expanding my collection.
    Yep, resistance is futile when it comes to sticks and forks

Quote Originally Posted by SheaLynne View Post
    Ooooh--thanks for bumping this one up! It is fantastic, and I was able to make it work with my iii not-quite hip length hair! (though I snapped a plastic stick when I was practicing...)

I'm wearing this one tomorrow!!
    Maybe I should too. I have kind of forgotten about this bun
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Length
    waist/Hip/TB
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I just love it! Thank you so much for sharing!