Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using oils and 'cones together

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Do cones and oils mix?

I guess I should have simplified my question.

If I'm using a coney S&C, can I also use coconut oil? It won't turn to goo in my hair or anything, right?

The afterparty was only used because I left my coconut oil at my parents' house and needed something. Plus its for use on dry hair. I use coconut oil on wet hair.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Hey manderly--I just did this a week ago today and found the results AMAZING. I've never had such soft hair--I can say it DID weigh it down a bit, but it did wash out well.

My process was:
    wet hair (it was really dry from a horse show, so I figured adding water to the hair, then using oil would seal in that moisture). Apply olive oil to hair from middle of length to ends, focus on last five inches of ends.
    Let sit for about a minute or two.
    Washed with clarifying shampoo (olive oil was NOT easy to wash free btw)
    Used pantene moisture renewel conditioner and let sit for about two minutes.
    Rinsed/finished with cool rinse.

I did have to re-wash a section of hair that didn't get oil out (it was gross/greasy/stringy), but if you look at my most recent photos, you can see how shiny it came out and it was SOFT!

I may oil bi-weekly now to keep my ends from getting too crispy/dry.

Banned
    Length
    22 In/25 In/45 In
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I use cone products all the time and the recipe i use contains a oil mix and i haven't seen any damage or bad effects from using both.

I use either L'oreal nature's therapy mega moisture treatment condish or Suave's professionals mix of Humectant, Xtreme Strength and Biobasics and i also use Kimo's shea, aloe and oil recipe and my hair feels even better than without it.

I wring the water out of my hair with a towel and then comb wet, apply a dime sized glob of Kimo's shea, aloe and oil mix on the hair, concentrating on ends and spread all over the length and so far after 1 month my hair loves it, the ends are soft and perfect and i have not seen any bad effects on my hair.

I have tried using only oil on my wet hair but it never felt as good as it feels now. JMHO. i mean it cannot hurt, worst thing that could happen is that it does not penetrate the ends as much but i has to help in some way, at least it's better than not using anything but S&C.

HTH.

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I mix them. I don't think it can hurt. Especially since dimethicone is water soluble. If it were a tougher cone to get out (amodimethicone or the like) I'd worry about having my hair get too weighed down. But a little water soluble silicone isn't a big deal IMO.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

For ages i CO washed with coney conditioners, and oiled constantly both light and heavy oilings. I found no problems with this at all and never even noticed needing to clarify other than ACV rinces.
    There was a theory a while ago that oiling hair that has cones on it softens them so that they are more easily removed and don't build up so much.....i don't remember if the theory was proved right or wrong but it seemed to make sense as far as my hair was reacting.
    If your hair likes cones i say use them, lots of people do and have no problems.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

That's an interesting theory, CD!

My hair seems to support it too - I use sulphate shampoos and cone conditioners (mostly in CWC) and oil regularly, both light leave-in and heavy (pre-wash). I mostly use EVOO, rather than coconut oil, but that's just personal preference.

Length
    17"/24"/30"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I use tresseme condistioner every day and oil straight after washing as well. It seems if I miss the oil my hair doesn't feel as nice.

Length
    16/21/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I use a coney conditioner for CWC and rub a few drops of coconut oil into the ends while damp and have had great results. My ends are fried and this is the best routine I've found for them so far.

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default cones and oil

I am trying to stick to my no cones resolutions, but it's not working too well so far! No matter what I do, (SMT's etc.), I have tangly, snarly hair. I'm beginning to think my hair likes cones.

So my question is, if I do go back at least on a limited basis to cones (thinking of a cone detangling spray) can I still use oil on the ends? Because I have also found my hair likes coconut oil fairly well. Or will the cones just seal out the oil and make it not have any effect? Still trying to figure out some of this stuff - even though I've had long hair all of my life, it's never been really healthy. This time I want it to be as healthy as possible!

You are all so helpful and so welcoming to a newbie! I just want to say how much I appreciate and enjoy this board!

Length
    14shr/32hip/39cls
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: cones and oil

I'm hoping others will jump on this thread, because I have been wondering the same thing! I was happily cone free over the summer/fall, but once it started to get colder my hair become tangly, drier and didn't hold the shape of the curls well. I went back to cones for a couple weeks and now my hair doesn't seem to be holding on to moisture at all. I'm not sure if cones and oil are a good combo...

I'm glad you are enjoying this forum It's a great place to be!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]