Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going longer between washes...natural evolution...?

Default Going longer between washes...natural evolution...?

I was curious to know if once you've found which cleansing/conditioning products your hair responds to, if going longer between washes is the next "thing" that people try?

For me, switching from S/C to BS and ACV has gone pretty well and I find myself considering going longer between washes now...

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Going longer between washes...natural evolution...?

That was definitely the next step for me. I don't know if it's really a conscious decision, or if it just seems natural to do so...but once I decided I liked going CO, then I certainly stopped washing every day, and moved to every other day...and now I'm at 3-4 days between washings. This is an interesting question, and I'm glad you asked it...I'm curious to see the responses from everyone else.

...one aside note: I don't know if I'll be able to keep up the length of time between my washings in the summertime. I discovered my good routine during the cold months, and Alabama can get pretty darn humid and hot from April to October.
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

It took me a really, really long time before I found products that work for me and a way to hang them together (I don't have a 'routine' as such) so I did start by washing less when I first came here. Because my hair was very damaged, this helped me understand how it was with more moisture/sebum, and helped 'reset' how I thought about clean hair, if that makes any sense.

However, after trying no poo, CO, WO, and no sulfates, I did end up going back to sulfate shampoos.

One thing I still do that I did when coming here first is SMTs with every wash. Since I only wash every 5-7 days or so, this gives me cleaner, nicer hair for longer.

Hope this answers your question!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    waist/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

It was the opposite for me. I stretched out my washes and then found a shampoo that I liked.
    Lady Delgado of the Red Rose Tower in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It depends on what else is going on in my life. I was washing my hair every 3-4 days, keeping it dry between washes, but then I started a workout program, so now I'm washing about every other day (CWC or CO) with rinses in-between. When the weather allows me to start working in my weedy flower and garden beds, I'll probably have to wash it every day.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I still mess with my routine, but it's usually CO. About the first thing I learned upon finding LHC though, was that I didn't need to wash my hair every time I showered. (Never occurred to me not to.) So I just started going as long between washes as my hair let me, and I've discovered that there are seasonal fluctuations to my sebum production. I've never so much tried to stretch my washes, I just let my hair dictate when I need them.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    nape/BSL/BCL?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

my hair started going longer between needing a wash all of a sudden very recently. i had been washing every day with soapnuts (for about a week) and when i switched back to diluted shampoo i found i only needed to wash every 3 days or so, instead of every other day at least.

loving it! braid waves that keep for days...
    i wish i had used olaplex BEFORE i bleached. sigh.

...henna will be my friend again someday

Length
    22/34/term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

I know a lot of people are stretching washings etc here on LHC but I have found that tailoring my routine to time of year works best for me. I wash about every 3rd or 4 day in winter and every day or every other day in Summer. I get so hot and sweaty that getting "clean" feels so good and I just can't resist.
    My Photo Journal like books?-- see my journal!
    I am lady Athena, keeper of wisdom, in the order of the long haired knights!

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

It was with me, more or less. Once my hair was happy with the way I used shampoo and conditioner, pushing the time between hair washes came naturally. I'm lazy and will put off hairwashes as long as I possible can Right now it's a week between washes, but since I have two weeks off from work, I'm trying to push it to 1½ week this time, to see if I can. My hair is happier with fewer washes, too.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I find that my hair thrives on being soaked daily; so for me, stretching 'washings' isn't beneficial, the ends seem to dry out terribly. I have found that giving up on shampoo has made a huge difference to my hair though - CO washes are perfect for me, and I do this either every day, or every other day and soak the bottom half of my hair with leave-in conditioner and water if I don't actually 'wash'.

I love the sensation of damp hair that's slowly drying, but my hair is only to mid-back. It's very thick, but it doesn't seem to take too long to dry to a tolerable dampness, about two hours?

So I don't have the urge to 'stretch' out washing - I suppose it depends on your hair type, your hair length, the goals you have and how you like to wear your hair...