Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice Water For Hair

Length
    20/28/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Question Rice Water For Hair

I have heard about using rice water, (the first or second rinse from washing rice before cooking) for beauty reasons. Most of the minerals and vitamins from the rice are in the water. It is supposed to be good for hair and skin. I have heard that it works well to spray some in before putting hair in rollers. I also read this:
    Hollywood stylists often spritz rice water onto hair before styling to impart instant volume and fullness.
    Does anyone have any other information? Has anyone tried this? Why do you think it would/ would not help?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Rice Water For Hair

I do not know about rice water. But the water in which rice has been boiled that is after draining and cooling it. It has been used to rinse hair after hairwash down the ages in India. I myself has used it and it gives a silky smoothness to the hair. I have used it long long ago. I think it is very good. I do not know about the water in which rice has been washed.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Hmmm, I've never heard of this.

I would think the starch in the water would possibly add body, but at the same time I think it may cause a powdery dullness.

I eat rice all the time, maybe I'll save some of the rinsing water and give it a try

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

i have always wanted to try this - but because the method i use to make rice has all the water cooked into the rice i couldn't figure out how.
    i guess that you have to boil the rice with extra water or something....
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ratgirldjh View Post
    i have always wanted to try this - but because the method i use to make rice has all the water cooked into the rice i couldn't figure out how.
    i guess that you have to boil the rice with extra water or something....

Not rice after it's been cooked, the water you use to rinse the rice prior to cooking

I can't imagine having fully cooked rice with lots of extra water in it! Must be nasty and slimy.

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    Not rice after it's been cooked, the water you use to rinse the rice prior to cooking

I can't imagine having fully cooked rice with lots of extra water in it! Must be nasty and slimy.
    Depends on what kind of rice it is

ETA: Speaking of which, has anyone done this with "black" rice? I dyed some fabric with it once as an experiment, but it didn't stay in too well. I wonder what it would do to hair.
    Last edited by longhairedfairy; March 18th, 2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: add

Length
    apl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

oooh, I'm going to try that next time I use sushi rice... or even ask my mom when she makes rice

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

It is the starch but also,

"Water-soluble non-starch polysaccharides .... were isolated from native and malted rice and ragi."
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18940599

Polysaccharides can build-up on hair.

Rice and arsenic
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1480
    more
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=8449&page=149
    Last edited by ktani; March 18th, 2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added link and text

Type
    1a/M/ii

I have heard of many different ways to use rice water. Washing face, cleaning hardwood flooring, watering plants (my grandmother used to do this all the time), washing dishes and cooking.

When I was looking for info on Shikakai, I found out that Indians use rice water and shikakai/areetha to wash their hair. I tried. Shikakai works better with rice water than just plain water. It removes grease from my hair better.

I have never heard of spritzing rice water to hair, though.

By the way, you can cook rice with extra water. Once you cook rice, you cannot salvage the water. The rice will be very soft. Have you ever had Congee at a Chinese restaurant? They are quite yummy with different flavors. We have OKAYU in Japan, rice cooked with lots of water. Easy to digest. Oftentimes we serve to the sick. Also in Kyoto area, Okayu is a regular breakfast. I think Italian risotto is cooked with lots of water, too. Just my

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

The starch that is drained out of cooked rice is used with shikakai to remove oil from hair. It should be washed away completely. I do not think spritzing the hair with starchy water is a good idea. That would make the hair stiff. I have never heard of the method. Washing with "kanji"(starchy water drained from rice. It is full of nutrients and can be had for breakfast too. It used to be used for feeding babies in the days where they used to cook rice with more water and drain the extra water.) is for making hair glossy and shiny with a conditioning effect.
    Last edited by princess; March 19th, 2009 at 02:59 PM.