Thread: Pics on removing henndigo using vitamin C, honey, and color oops

Default Pics on removing henndigo using vitamin C, honey, and color oops

I wanted to show some pictures and add to the experiences others had with removing henna and indigo.

Some background on my hair. I previously lightened my virgin hair using 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and conditioner many times to a very light, almost platinum blonde (which is a whole other story). Here is how that turned out:

I was kind of fed up with the process, and wanted my natural and low maintenance hair color (mediumish brown) back, so I got some dark brown henna from the henna guys (indigo, henna, alma and I think some other herbs) and applied that mixture. This was in October 2015. Here is how that turned out:

I felt like my hair was too red at this point and that the indigo wasn't sticking well and everything was fading quickly, so I reapplied the same henndigo mixture another two or three times in the course of 3-4 months (I had substantial virgin roots that I dyed over at this point). I also cut off some length from the split ends caused by the peroxide before. It turned out pretty dark:

After a few months the bleached part faded considerably showing a few highlights, and the henna on my roots became red/purplish, but overall the result looked very close to my natural virgin hair. I stopped doing anything to it and grew about 3 inches of virgin roots.

Now on to the removal part. I was thinking recently that my skin tone and face looks best with a warm, dark blonde hair after looking at old pictures (I did a lot of different things to my hair a long time ago). I know that henna and indigo are hard to remove, but I like taking risks and do not have a big attachment to my hair being perfect so I decided to try and remove the color. I did two vitamin C with shampoo treatments, and one honey and cinnamon treatment. My hair lightened up a bit after this, but I felt that the henna on my virgin roots wasn't budging. I didn't take pictures after these treatments.

Today I did one color oops treatment by letting the mixture sit for a bit over an hour and rinsing it off for 45 minutes. Here is how my hair looks now (these pictures are a bit lighter than my hair is in reality):

Yes there is green from the indigo, but I feel like it complements my eyes and my hair is lighter overall, and with more treatments it will be better suited to color over to a lighter color than what I had with the henndigo (obviously not platinum blonde or anything, I was thinking about a darker blonde Naturtint color). I hope the green will fade with more vitamin C and color oops treatments too, and that the red henna on the virgin roots will get a bit lighter/return to my virgin color. For now, I will do coconut milk and oil masks to restore my hair, and will periodically continue to do vitamin C/cinnamon and one or two color oops treatments (they're pricey!!).

I just wanted to share this result since there weren't too many pictures of what vit C and color oops do to henndigoed hair. I will update with more pictures of my trials.

Length
    12/12/18
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Pics on removing henndigo using vitamin C, honey, and color oops

Those are incredible results considering you used full strength mud multiple times! Congratulations

We're really lucky to live in an age where unnatural hair colors like green can look intentional! Unfortunately for those who have mishaps with henna, though, bozo orange seems to be the ONE unnatural color that doesn't seem to be trendy!
    Last edited by linuxgirl; July 29th, 2016 at 08:17 AM.

Thank you, I do hope the green goes away though, or I will have to color over it if I can. It looks like the bottom half of my hair is completely different from the top now

It is interesting that the indigo stuck to my bleached ends well, and color oops removed the henna and left my hair green. On my henndigoed roots, the opposite happened, the color became a lighter and more noticeable red, seemingly removing the indigo and leaving the henna! My hair looks much lighter overall, even my virgin roots, and I really like that result!

I think this experiment worked so well was because the dye faded so much on my hair prior to using color oops. I was also out in the sun a lot, maybe that contributed to the fading too. I last hennaed about 6-7 months ago.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

That came out impressively well! I'm half-hoping you just decide to play up the green a bit, because it's not bad, just different. Streaks of wild color worked through, perhaps?

If you can, would you post an update in a week or two? I've noticed that hair tends to darken for a little while after using Color Oops, so it'd be interesting to see what happens.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

I don't mind the green, its just that its a cool tone, whereas the top half of my head is a warm tone. I would like to do the color stripping in order to somehow neutralize the difference in tone in my hair and lighten it up, then I can work with it more easily to dye over it. I can of course try to neutralize the green (but I've read that the green tint from the indigo might not budge), but I would like to do more color stripping to see where I can get my hair to. I really thought that I would stay with henndigo and grow out my virgin hair, but I was wrong!

Yeah, I read that hair can darken after color oops, but I think that in a week or two, I will have done a few vitamin C treatments, so I might not post accurate results. I am going to do strand tests for now, and will experiment after my hair recovers for a few days. It feels fine, just a bit dry. I just did a coconut cream and soy sauce mask for protein