Thread: Shea Butter

Length
    22 in/22 in/50 in
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Shea Butter

Hi-
    I was wondering where you all purchased the shea butter for the foxes shea butter cream recipe. Also, what are the exact ingredients & measurements? Is it 1 cup, 1/2 cup or how much? And does it really help dry/damaged, split ends? Do you apply it as a leave-in conditioner?Sorry for so many questions and thanks for your time.
    Jamie

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Shea Butter

Hi Jamie, I'm in the UK - I've bought mine online from Baldwins.co.uk and I have a big block in my fridge that I bought off of Ebay for a fairly low price. It's good stuff, too!

I haven't used Fox's recipe so I'm not sure of the proportions. The one I use is 1/3 melted shea butter & 1/3 melted coconut oil plus 1/3 aloe vera gel - mix up, put in fridge for an hour, remove & stir, put in fridge again. Take out of fridge to soften up and you have something brilliant for post-wash oiling (you only need a tiny bit). This was Kimo's recipe, so kudos to Kimo!

So, if I were you, I'd try Ebay

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I found mine at natural/organic store. Sometimes they sell it pure and sometimes they sell it with additives like EOs and vitamin E, both of which are fine by me. They usually write that it's for skin moisturizing, but don't let it put you off, check the ingredient list, and if you don't see anything scary/ugly, then it's alright to use on hair.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

can order it onlne I guess from mountain rose herbs.

Can find it here too

depends on where you are located too.

I have tried organic food stores or health food stores in my area could not find the stuff
    Last edited by princess; March 21st, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Length
    APL/BSL/tlb
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I also get mine from Mountain Rose Herbs. The stuff I bought at my natural store was more processed, it didn't have that earthy/nutty smell and had no grit to it like the raw stuff. I like to use the really raw kind so you get all the good stuff from the shea butter.