Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy, Idiot-Proof Updoes

Default Easy, Idiot-Proof Updoes

Let me start by saying I have never been able to style my hair well. Most girls spent hours in front of the mirror as teens, I spent those hours reading. My attempts at updos leave my arms sore and me in tears. But I wanted to learn some protective updoes for work (grocery clerk). I bought some hair sticks and two hair forks but don't know how to use them. So I was wondering if anyone could suggest some super easy APL length protective updoes that are idiot proof?

Also, my ends are super thick and hard to fold under buns. I also have a tendency to pull my hair super tight in updoes. Maybe I should just learn to keep it down.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Easy, Idiot-Proof Updoes

How long is your hair? That affects what works, as does thickness.
    ETA2: LOL, my reading comprehension today apparently sucks!

Most idiot-proof protective thing I can think of is a basic braid. Works at almost any length that is even thinking about updos. Grab hair, ponytail it if you must (though long term I think it's better not to), divide in 3, braid. Secure ends. Keep it from getting caught on things, between your back and chairs, or eaten by wandering goats.

ETA: OK, I'm going to just keep adding things.

Lazy wrap buns take a little practice to figure out how big to make the first loop, but they're really easy and pretty stable. Again, they work at most lengths, even if you just have your ends sticking straight up after the outer loop. There are lots of videos and minor variations, but this is just like how I make mine, and it's pretty easy to see what she's doing. The bit of twisting at the beginning is something I find useful to help hold it all together. Mind, if your hair is long enough you can do this and just about anything else with a braid instead of a twisted ponytail.

Disc buns get a lot of love around here, and are easy to pull off with shorter and thicker hair. They're not great for me, but I've got a huge length:thickness ratio that seems to work against me for these.

Even easier than a braid, if you're braid-declined is a Caterpillar braid: Make a ponytail. Then grab another band, and secure the ponytail again a few inches down. Band it again, a few inches below that. Repeat... This doesn't get everywhere or tangle up like a ponytail does.
    Last edited by Anje; July 13th, 2015 at 12:42 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Bunnehlvr22, depending on your hair type/thickness you might be able to do Peacock Twists or Cinnabuns at this length. I think they are probably the easiest, because they just require to twist hair and pin it in place.

If your hair is too thick or short for some buns you like, just split hair in two or more and do sectioned buns or double buns.

Since you have a tendency to pull your hair too tightly, why not start with a braid or 2 - and just fold the braid(s) or coil it upwards and pin it. I think braided buns hold better so they allow you not to pull too tightly. I'd check out the Oval Bun for example.

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I heartily second the disc bun. It's probably my favourite updo and it can be done on pretty much any hair type some time between shoulder and APL with just one stick, and it doesn't require you to pull tightly on the base at all.

Peacock twists are nice and simple, they only require one claw clip big enough to hold your hair up. There's also a way to secure a french twist with a peacock tail with a stick or fork. Cinnabuns, if you're on the thicker end, you might not be able to do so well yet without pulling them tight, but spin pins might help a lot there.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Seriously, it all depends on how thick your hair is. Are you i, ii or iii? If you're iii then I'm afraid about all you can do at APL is a peacock twist or some such style secured with a claw clip. I'm a iii and my first bun was when I hit waist! Before that buns were impossible as I lacked sufficient length for my thickness.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2b/M/iii

Perhaps a Gibson Tuck? Here's a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u4neDtqsDk

You could dress it up even more if you do two strand lace rope braids on the side, THEN ponytail all your hair preparatory to ponytailing.

Be sure you detangle thoroughly before you do anything else! Good luck!

Length
    Pixie/Hip/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

There is a thread of "updos for APL and shorter". Sorry I cannot link to it.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by vpatt View Post
    There is a thread of "updos for APL and shorter". Sorry I cannot link to it.
    Great point, vpatt! Here's the link to the ongoing thread:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...123749&page=28

Type
    1a/M/ii

I don't know if it's doable at APL, but my favorite "fail-proof" style is the lazy wrap bun... For me it works consistently even on days I can't seem to coordinate my movements properly (lack of sleep can be a real PITA)...

Thanks everyone for the suggestons!

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Seriously, it all depends on how thick your hair is. Are you i, ii or iii? If you're iii then I'm afraid about all you can do at APL is a peacock twist or some such style secured with a claw clip. I'm a iii and my first bun was when I hit waist! Before that buns were impossible as I lacked sufficient length for my thickness.
    I am a iii (hair type is 1b/m-c/iii). My hair circumference measures 4" dry. So I might be stuck with a french braid and regular braid for a while.