Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scritching Instructions?

Type
    1b/M/ii

Question Scritching Instructions?

Can I get some scritching instructions, please? I would like to try this to aliviate some itchies and flakies I have been experiencing. I remember this method being discussed on the old board. There may even have been an article on it.
    Thanks!
    Join our club and swap books for FREE - PaperBackSwap.com

~Lady Kitsune of the Luminous Eventide in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~ 1b/M/ii ~ 0/38/classic

You hold the comb at an angle almost level with the skull so that the point and part of the flat surface of the comb come in contact with your scalp. Think of this as using a comb to exfoliate and massage your scalp. With this in mind you're going to lightly scratch the surface of your scalp in a tiny back and forth motion without lifting the comb (like you're scratching an itch).
    Begin at the hairline in the front and work backwards towards the crown. Once you get to the crown begin again at the hairline but move a little to once side to begin a new path to the crown. Continue moving about the head in this manner, finishing one side all the way to the back and then come back to the front and begin the second side.
    You should lean your head slightly towards the direction you are scritching. So if you are scritching the right side, lean your head to the right. The only exception is when you get to the back, at that point it is easier to tip your head forward and let the hair fall over your face. It should feel really good. Some places on your scalp may beg for a bit more attention (like when you are getting a good massage and someone finds a spot that really needs work) and as long as you aren't using too much pressure (you don't want to damage your scalp) go ahead and rub that spot.
    You can also follow with a massage of the scalp using just your fingertips.
    I hope I've explained it in a way that is easy to understand. It's easier to show than to explain.

Type
    1b/M/ii

Those instructions make perfect sense. I'll have to try that before my next washing. Thanks, Silver & Gold!
    Join our club and swap books for FREE - PaperBackSwap.com

~Lady Kitsune of the Luminous Eventide in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~ 1b/M/ii ~ 0/38/classic

You don't need to restrict scritching to just before a wash, although this is a very good time to do it. It's also a good night ritual. Very relaxing and yet it also stimulates the scalp. I also with do a quick scritching when I'm fixing my hair in the morning, it really helps the hair to stand up at the roots.
    Once you get the hang of it you'll find yourself doing it just because it feels really good.
    Make certain to have a good seamless comb as well. I use horn combs but I've heard other people use wood.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Call me old fashioned, but the only way I can relieve the itches and flakes is by a good washing of the hair and head. If I scratch the scalp for any length of time, it gets even more irritated.
    Melanie
    2 a/b/c, ii/iii f-c My hair is all over the place with typing,-blunt cut ,layered throughout. Dyed Blonde yet 100% white.

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

If you have trouble with the comb, you can simply scratch with your fingernails. You're basically removing dead skin cells; therefore, do whatever is easy.

I've got a nice horn comb for scritching, but I always use my fingernails. The scalp sensation when scritching with the comb is absolutely fantastic and I've never matched that feeling with my fingernails, yet I still use my fingernails daily.

Scalp massage is good too, and it is done with the fingertips. Since I've already got my fingers in my hair, I do scritching, massage and preening while I'm reading on the internet. Nothing improves blood circulation like massage, and some of us believe it makes our hair grow faster.

Quote Originally Posted by wtchmel View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but the only way I can relieve the itches and flakes is by a good washing of the hair and head. If I scratch the scalp for any length of time, it gets even more irritated.
    Interestingly enough I don't scritch to relieve itching or flakes, I've never been plagued by this condition. I only recently discovered scritching and I do it for the scalp stimulation and massage.

You say good old washing of the head and hair is 'old fashioned' but I suspect that scritching was around long before frequent washing. It's only been in more recent times that people could indulge in this activity. Getting and heating water was an arduous thing, especially if you go back to our original tribal roots.

Soooooo, scritchers are the old fashioned ones! AHA!

All kidding aside, I think everyone's head can use a good massage. If scritching really irritates your scalp then perhaps massaging your scalp with the proper conditioning oil for your skin type at night or before washing would give you some good scalp stimulation and condition your scalp at the same time. Do you think doing something like this might actually help your itching and flakes?

Length
    25/28/36
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

This advice has been invaluable to me as well, Silver&Gold--I was just going to post a thread on the same topic.

I do have one more question though--what's the distinction between needing scritching and having dandruff or scalp flakes caused by some other source? Is there a set amount of days after a wash that mark having a problem?

Usually I start getting flakes the third day after washing. Is this normal/helathy?
    ~Ever-creeping to small-of-the-back length~
    2b/c, M, ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by rubyredslippers View Post
    This advice has been invaluable to me as well, Silver&Gold--I was just going to post a thread on the same topic.

I do have one more question though--what's the distinction between needing scritching and having dandruff or scalp flakes caused by some other source? Is there a set amount of days after a wash that mark having a problem?

Usually I start getting flakes the third day after washing. Is this normal/helathy?
    I can't answer this one for you as I have no personal experience with flaking. I hope someone more knowledgeable sees this and provides you with the answer you seek.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Another suggestion for getting rid of scalp gunk is to make a brown sugar scrub. Just a nice gritty mixture of brown sugar and conditioner, scrubbed on the scalp, has helped a lot of people.

Probably not something you'd do daily, unlike scritching, though.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!