Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baking Soda - yay or nay?

Length
    9/TBL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Angry Baking Soda - yay or nay?

I have tried to find information on this site about baking soda, without much result. There seems to be much too and fro if it is good for hair or not.
    At least I have found out that it works well as a clarifying wash, but does it damage hair after long term usage??

Thanks!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Baking Soda - yey or nay?

It would depend on how you use it, IMO.

Baking soda can be abrasive if it is not fully dissolved in warm to hot water. The pH is about 8, so it is alkaline but some people's tap water is too.

Try using a completely dissolved, well diluted version and strand test it if you like first. You will need an acidic rinse or conditioner (all conditioners are acidic) to follow.

Damage your hair? Not if you are careful with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    I have tried to find information on this site about baking soda, without much result. There seems to be much too and fro if it is good for hair or not.
    At least I have found out that it works well as a clarifying wash, but does it damage hair after long term usage??

Thanks!
    No.

Only clarify on an as-needed basis. I personally would not recommend this as a hair wash method for all hair washes (as in several times a week).

In my case, as-needed becomes about once a quarter.

I've been using this for decades now.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    43/??/24
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

For me - nay. It dries my hair out. I do much better with full-strength shampoo if I feel I have buildup. Otherwise I dilute my shampoo quite a lot in warm water.

Length
    pixie/18"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

I find it's a good clarifying wash instead of using sulphates. It leaves my ends a little dry though if I dont dissolve it properly, and it feels gritty, which I dont like. Properly dissolved, I use it maybe once a month, but I'm aiming for less, maybe quarterly like Heidi.
    1" (3.3.13), 18" (17.05.14), mini goal 23, BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Nay.

Imo clarifying-wash states it very well what baking soda does. Clarifying never is a gentle method to clean hair. Which in conclusion makes it too harsh to be a good routine for cleaning long hair on a regular basis. If at all it should be used very careful, on a as needed basis and only once in a blue moon.

I personally would never ever, not even in a million years when the elks dance boogie at a beach-party, try to use baking soda on hair still attached to my head. Ive put a test strand under the microscope and have seen what the common baking-soda mixture does to the cuticle of my hair. Umm no thanks.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Nay for me! It left my hair in a very greasy, tangled and horrible condition.

I´ve put a test strand under the microscope and have seen what the common baking-soda mixture does to the cuticle of my hair. Umm no thanks.
    Finoriel, what did it do?

Just a reminder:

Any clarify hair wash no matter the product or home recipe, any hair wash using Baking Soda for sure, BE SURE TO CONDITION WELL AS PART OF THE PROCESS AFTER CLARIFYING.

If one doesn't then what happens is hair may well be dry, a weird texture and tangly. Why? Because TO CLARIFY = to strip the hair bare naked of all applied product, sebum, dirt, grime -- including moisture such as conditioner.

So you have to put back what's been removed.

If one did not condition at all, or sufficiently, then that dry, tangled, weird feeling hair -- well, the clarifying worked. That's what happens to hair when the "moisture" isn't replaced (after being removed).

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    15"/28"/35"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Well for me its the only thing I have managed to use that lets me go more then 1 day between washes. I do use an acv and conditioning rinse after I wash my scalp and it would be terribly dry if I didn't condition. I'm trying lesson my washes anyway I now wash t every 3/4 days and I hope to get it down to once a week maybe on some other wash as I know soda bic isn't good for your skin long term so it might be the same for your hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lady Ophelia of the Willow Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

i wouldn't reccommend using it, it made my hair greasy and tangly and generally awful. i don't think my scalp liked the over-drying alkaline-ness of it