Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair care for those who swim in the ocean /pool

Default Hair care for those who swim in the ocean /pool

I am a beach person and spend a lot of time in and around the ocean. My hair is wavy/frizzy and after a day at the beach it is knotted, dried out and most likely broken off in parts. Does anyone have any tips for protecting your hair from the wind, sand, saltwater, etc? I have heard some people wet their hair first and coat with conditioner but I have also heard that can burn your scalp. What about braiding, does that help? Any advice appreciated.

Length
    thigh/apl/none
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

Default Re: Hair care for those who swim in the ocean /pool

I think the wetting hair and applying conditioner is a good idea. I don't see why it would burn your scalp It would also be good to braid your hair after you do this, too. I am not often at the beach but I always braid my hair when I go to the pool.

"Only the shallow know themselves." -Oscar Wilde

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I would coat with either conditioner or oil and then braid. Wash your hair as soon as you can after getting out of the ocean and you should be fine.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by marla View Post
    I am a beach person and spend a lot of time in and around the ocean. My hair is wavy/frizzy and after a day at the beach it is knotted, dried out and most likely broken off in parts. Does anyone have any tips for protecting your hair from the wind, sand, saltwater, etc? I have heard some people wet their hair first and coat with conditioner but I have also heard that can burn your scalp. What about braiding, does that help? Any advice appreciated.
    I just did an Article on this subject, a little while ago, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=115

Length
    15.75/22/25
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by marla View Post
    I am a beach person and spend a lot of time in and around the ocean. My hair is wavy/frizzy and after a day at the beach it is knotted, dried out and most likely broken off in parts.
    This was a wonderful post topic but I just got the sinking scared feeling in my stomach... I am a beach addict and the nearest is about a 75 minute drive. DBF and I went at least 10 times last summer for the day and drove back home. That leaves over an hour before I can get in the shower! Yikes. Just last summer, I was one of those sillies who damage hair regularly and wondered why it didn't grow. Now that I'm working hard to keep it beautiful and grow it - I'm scared

Okay, not really scared, but this is a good darn point!

Length
    22/28/waist
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Most beaches have shower heads that you can at least wash the saltwater off out of your hair before leaving. I'd just give it a good rinse and take care of it at home.
    Lady Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    I just did an Article on this subject, a little while ago, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=115
    Ktani,

What you wrote is very interesting as I have wondered about this topic before as well. Would there be any negative affects to using club soda (i.e. is club soda drying to ones hair or will it change the color of ones hair?)

Would club soda rinse (followed up with coconut oil and hair washing) be better for one's hair than taking a shower directly after getting out of the pool and using Swimmer's Shampoo and Conditioner (such as Aubrey Organic Swimmer's Line)?

Thanks,
    Sissy

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

also, I have another question. This is a bit off the OT but I also love to swim and this seems to be the place to ask. Where I live there is a freshwater lake nearby. I love to go hiking and swimming there with my husband and dogs. Is there any need to use special swimmer's shampoos, club soda, etc after swimming in freshwater sources? Or is hair only damaged from swimming in chlorinated pools and saltwater sources?

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post
    Ktani,

What you wrote is very interesting as I have wondered about this topic before as well. Would there be any negative affects to using club soda (i.e. is club soda drying to ones hair or will it change the color of ones hair?)

Would club soda rinse (followed up with coconut oil and hair washing) be better for one's hair than taking a shower directly after getting out of the pool and using Swimmer's Shampoo and Conditioner (such as Aubrey Organic Swimmer's Line)?

Thanks,
    Sissy
    The club soda has a similar pH to most shampoos and conditioners but neutralizes the chlorine. It would IMO be the equivalent to using the products you mention and no, it should not alter natural hair colour. It is reported to remove the green cast to hair that swimming in chorine can as well as brassiness to hair cused by environmental factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post
    also, I have another question. This is a bit off the OT but I also love to swim and this seems to be the place to ask. Where I live there is a freshwater lake nearby. I love to go hiking and swimming there with my husband and dogs. Is there any need to use special swimmer's shampoos, club soda, etc after swimming in freshwater sources? Or is hair only damaged from swimming in chlorinated pools and saltwater sources?
    It would depend on the mineral content of the water you swim in. The club soda helps remove mineral build-up.