Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Effects acids and bases/alkalis have on hair.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Effects acids and bases/alkalis have on hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Short2Long2009 View Post
    If anyone uses shampoo bars, sodium hydroxide is the alkali used to saponify the oils, giving you...soap

Liquid soaps are made with potassium hydroxide.
    I knew that saponification was due to the reaction of a base and a fat/oil, but I would think that this wouldn't affect the pH much, as I thought it would neutralize a bit. Is this so?

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh.

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bjjowett1993 View Post
    That is quite interesting, Kirin. I don't actually know what the scientific reason behind that would be. possibly a chemical imbalance in your body? Or just simply your hair. Thank you for your imput.
    I actually think its my body as a whole. Eating acidic things (like vinegar) will cause severe pain in my mouth and sores for days.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    28/32/36
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Wow great info! Concise and to the point w/o being wordy! Great idea posting in the Article section. Hope to have more articles/ input from you.
    And you are only 15 years old? Such a developed mind! Great info and presentation.
    We are so lucky at LHC to have so many different people in varying fields that can add and exchange information.
    Thanks again!

Length
    shldr/BSL/waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Hi bjjowett, great article. You remind me of engineers I used to work with - you seem to have a way of understanding how things work.

Thanks for writing it up - I used Apple Cider Vinegar sometimes & often your article useful and information in general as well.

Great job!

Skay

Baking soda is slightly alkaline which is probably why it doesn't do much for your hair.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    I actually think its my body as a whole. Eating acidic things (like vinegar) will cause severe pain in my mouth and sores for days.
    Wow, that is reallyi interesting indeed.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by alligatorbaby23 View Post
    Wow great info! Concise and to the point w/o being wordy! Great idea posting in the Article section. Hope to have more articles/ input from you.
    And you are only 15 years old? Such a developed mind! Great info and presentation.
    We are so lucky at LHC to have so many different people in varying fields that can add and exchange information.
    Thanks again!
    Yes, I am only a 15 year old boy, and I was good in science last semster when we studied the pH scale, but not physics, lol. Thank you very much for the compliment! I do plan to make more articles, Iam really fond of this site, and all the mem,bers, everyone is so poilite and friendly!

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    Baking soda is slightly alkaline which is probably why it doesn't do much for your hair.
    Exactly.

Length
    30ish/32/36
    Type
    2c/M/iii

All of my research, and my husband's pH meter say that vinegar has a pH of 3. Where do you get that it's 4?

Oh and for people wondering what pH tap water is, mine is 7.5-8 depending, and I have softened water. I would guess everyone's tap water will differ.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by skay View Post
    Hi bjjowett, great article. You remind me of engineers I used to work with - you seem to have a way of understanding how things work.

Thanks for writing it up - I used Apple Cider Vinegar sometimes & often your article useful and information in general as well.

Great job!

Skay
    Thank you very much! I do like to understand how things work, knowledge is power, and I like to share it with people, to inform them, which in turn eliminates ignorance.