Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please don't panic about dymondwood sensitivities and reactions....

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Default Please don't panic about dymondwood sensitivities and reactions....

Many of you here have heard that OhioLisa and I both discovered that we have had a reaction to our dymondwood hair toys. I want to assure you guys PLEASE DON'T PANIC about this.

I am definately on the extreme end of my sensitivities. My reaction to this most recent batch of toys was FAR WORSE than Lisa's. Mostly the symptoms we both had were itching after taking down updos and a few scabs or small bumps, some headaches and a bit of feeling icky. That's all Lisa had (and oddly enough, last year when I cut my hair, that's what I was dealing with and I thought it was the weight of my hair...I was wearing exclusively dymondwood then too) but when I got my new batch this Monday I played with them a lot because they were so beautiful and over the next day I got hivey, and my fingers swelled. Nothing drasticly bad, no airways closing or anything like that, but annoying. We finally connected it to the dymondwood.

I am a stylist, and as such I'm exposed to chemicals on a daily basis. I have become very chemically sensitive due to this. Some of the dyes in the dymondwood are the same dyes that cause people issues in haircolor. I have no issues with my own head as long as I limit my exposure; due to this I don't use chemical shampoos/condishes for the most part and no products, and just use semi/demipermanent color on my own hair. As long as I limit exposure I can still for the most part put the color on other people's heads with no issue. I think that the extra exposure from the dymondwood just sent my system into overload. So I will stick with natural woods.

Oddly enough, there's a whole list of natural woods that can cause sensitivities too, and just because it's natural doesn't mean you won't react. But I have a bunch of toys made out of a bunch of the woods on that list, and no problems. I didn't wear dymondwood for most days last week because I started to think I was reacting and I wanted to test it....no problems whatsoever.

The moral of the story is that you should be aware that there is potential in anything to cause a reaction. Heck, I reacted to ficcares and other metal toys. I've even reacted to plastic before. But Please do not panic....just keep a healthy eye on yourself.

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Please don't panic about dymondwood sensitivities and reactions....

Very well written and it makes a lot of sense to me. Well Done!

Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Very well written and it makes a lot of sense to me. Well Done!
    Thanks so much ktani.....

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I guess it's like some people like me are alleric to poison ivy and some aren't. Yes, its nature but I still get bubbly..LOL
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    --/APL--/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

I just has sent you a message, but you answered my questions in this post.
    I am sorry you had this reaction to the chemicals used in Dymondwood.
    Thank you for the information.

Henna. 1b. F. ii/iii.

Type
    1a/M/ii

I am sorry to hear you and OhioLisa have reactions and sensitivities to Dymondwood.

I hear Dymondwood can be sanded and polished to a very glossy shine and does not require finishes like varnish. So if that's the case, I wonder sealing forks with some type of topcoat might prevent reactions.

I found this at Woodcentral forum. Actually you might want to email 60th and ask if anything can be done. I used to do lots of woodworking and was not too happy with MinWax products although they are really affordable. We don't want to ruin nice hairtoys. Besides, I have never dealt with dymondwood. So I don't know what's best.
    Last edited by Akiko; March 4th, 2009 at 06:22 AM.

I am so sorry you are having this reaction.

Thanks for the heads up and the good advice, I would be seriously bummed if I started haveing reactions to my Dymondwood, 90 percent of my stuff is Dymondwood, that's a wild way to thin a collection huh?

I hope you find lots of wonderful, beautiful hairtoys made of natural woods.

In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by rymorg2 View Post
    Thanks so much ktani.....
    You are most welcome.

I can react to natural products but most of my sensitivites are to chemicals.

It must be that much more difficult with multiple sensitivities like you have but you understand what you are dealing with.

To be able to deal with your sensitivities and have a perspective and plan for keeping them all in check, that allows you not only to function well, but still be in the profession you love, is amazing, IMO.

I am extremely impressed!

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Aw, I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble, but it's great that you figured out what was going on.

Keeping a journal of some kind can be a real help in tracking things when you're not sure what's going on or why.

I kept a headache journal for a good while, and it really helped me isolate some of the causes and figure out some treatments.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I'm only panicking because I have to get rid of my $@!#&*^ collection!!