View Poll Results: Has your red darkened with age?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, but I'm still quite young.

9 10.59%
  • No, I'm as bright red as ever.

3 3.53%
  • Maybe, but I'm not sure.

9 10.59%
  • Definitely, my red is darker than it was.

31 36.47%
  • My red has lightened with age (not counting grays).

19 22.35%
  • I've reached for henna or dye to brighten my existing red.

29 34.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Natural redheads, has your hair dulled/darkened with age?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Natural redheads, has your hair dulled/darkened with age?

I'm curious, because I'm pretty sure I've observed this phenomenon in myself and a few others.

As I understand it, from a eumelanin perspective, a redhead is a very light blond, and as more eumelanin is added, the red shifts auburn, then to warm chestnuts and chocolates before hitting black. Then we have a liberal helping of phaeomelanin which gives the red.

So I'm wondering if, just like many folks who are blond as children darken to dark blond or even a full-on brown, do you also have an increase in eumelanin with age that has darkened your red?

(Here, I'm not dealing with the seasonal changes in red... There's another poll for that.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    15 in/30 in/24
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Natural redheads, has your hair dulled/darkened with age?

Dear Anje,

As a naturally red-headed sexagenarian, I feel qualified to answer your question about red hair darkening with age: My own experience indicates the answer is a resounding "no!" My own red hair has become much lighter as I get older even though I almost never go out in the sun. That is also the experience of my red-headed aunt who became quite a strawberry blonde in her later years. The tendency, I think, is for red hair to lighten with age and then finally become a different kind of grey - a creamier, blonder type of grey than most end up with.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Interesting. I've heard that redheads gray by turning "buff" for a while first. I'm not sure I'll be one of them. My dozen or two grays seem to be sparkly white.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Is there a cheese option?

I'm not a natural redhead, but I wish I were!
    Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O LORD. Psalm 36:6

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

I was strawberry blonde as a child and went to a slightly darker red as I have gotten older, but my sister who was auburn, just went brown loosing all of her red. Many in my family get sandy as they get older, but many go more auburn or brown. I have alot of redheads in my family. Of the cousins and there are 14, 11 of them are redheaded. We are Scotch Irish and Cherokee mix.

On the edge of my forest!

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

my best friend has waist length red hair and i've known her for over 20 years.

her hair used to be much richer red - now she has silver hairs mixed with the red and it looks more strawberry blonde.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Type
    2a/M/ii

I was a bright strawberry blonde as a little girl. My hair darkened slowly over the years. By the time I was in high school I was more of a light auburn (but still had a lot of red). By the time I graduated university, you couldn't see the red unless I was in bright sunlight.

So yes, in my case the red went darker over time. My grandmother was a redhead who remained so until she went grey, but my mother was a brunette and so was my father. I have a cousin on my mother's side who was like me, started off a redhead but now she's a brunette. She likes her hair better now though, because her siblings used to tease her as a child about being the "adopted redhead".
    Last edited by Wavelength; March 3rd, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Hi there! I'm an old-timer delurking to answer. :-) Yes, my naturally red hair is darkening with age (quite a lot, actually, when I looked at some old LHC pics I posted back in 2002), and like you said, my gray hairs are particularly sparkly.
    Type 2aMiii
    very short/just below BS length/just below BS length
    Naturally red hair (fading with age!) boosted back to original color with Valentina's "henna gloss" recipe

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My mom's red hair has certainly dulled with age. She was definitely completely red before, now it looks almost brown (with silvers mixed in.)
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Supplier of Green Eggs Sam-I-Am's Avatar
    Length
    21"/I sat/onit!
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

I am only 26, but my hair has pretty much been the same color since the day I was born. It has darkened a bit since coming to LHC, but I think that is because it is consistently moisturized versus when I was a kid, it was always dry and frizzy, which made it look more coppery.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/othergirl4christ/Hair/2007-10curlysmall.jpg