Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can caucasian hair grow while in micro braids?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Can caucasian hair grow while in micro braids?

I don't know if this is a stupid question but I am in the process of putting lots of tiny braids in my hair and I wondered if this would affect the growth at all?
    Last edited by Toadstool; March 2nd, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    nape/BSL/BCL?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Can caucasian hair grow while in micro braids?

i had BSL-length hair wrapped in braided extensions a few years ago for about 2 months, and my hair grew during that time. it also started to dread at the roots, which is when i knew they were ready to come out!

as long as the extensions aren't too heavy you should be ok--too much stress on the scalp/roots can cause the hair to pull out, so keep that in mind.

i shed A LOT when i took them out (all that shed hair that was trapped in braids) but i found the overall condition was great afterwards since the length had been protected and unwashed.
    i wish i had used olaplex BEFORE i bleached. sigh.

...henna will be my friend again someday

Account Closed by Member Request

My hair tends to grow pretty fast anyway, so I'm not sure if this is accurate, but the times I've had my hair braided (micro, boxed and cornrowed) my hair grew--The longest I've left them in was almost 2 months; but I had a lot of outgrowth, so I took them down. HTH

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think so, but I had a lot of damage and dryness on my ends when I took my braids (not microbraids, but fairly skinny, all my own hair, and pre-LHC) out after a little over a week (they got quite fuzzy in that short period of time). So be seriously careful with your braids, and oil well.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Yep, they will grow. Since your hair grows from your scalp, nothing you do from your length should affect what your hair does from the scalp (unless of course you are pulling it out or god forbid have set it on fire.)
    after henna, no 'cones, no sulfates, my hair no longer tries to strangle me in my sleep. I guess we can be friends now.
    Google+

Type
    2a/C/iii

Thank you everyone. It is just my own hair, not extensions.What oil should I put on them or is any leave-in conditioner okay?
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    Pixie/Class/? ? ?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

If it's your own hair, the weight won't be a problem, unless you add really heavy beads or things at the end. The only thing to mind, is not to have it braided too tight, as that can also pull out hair at the roots. But I'm sure you'll be able to feel if any braid is tugging.

For me, coconut and jojoba oil works really well, but I would be very careful putting it on braids as it makes hair very slippery and can perhaps make the braids unravel. Leave-ins sound fine to me. I'd suggest that you do a heavy oiling, any type of oil that you have access to, when you're taking them out. It will make unbraiding and detangling a lot easier!

If you wash your hair with poo, you'll probably end up with fuzzy braids and it's very hard to rinse it all out, so be careful. I know that my scalp gets very upset if there is shampoo remaining on it. The best thing for your braids is to leave them be, or perhaps rinse in warm water if you feel you need to clean your head.

As always, YMMV. HTH
    Lady Anumati of the Moonlit Tresses
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    I'm not a complete idiot, - some parts are missing!

Type
    2a/C/iii

Thank you Silverlox. If I wash only with water,won't my hair smell? Also I am prone to seborrheic dermatitis so do you still think it's okay not to use shampoo?

Length
    Pixie/Class/? ? ?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Well, it depends whether you are in an environment which is smelly.

I, personally, do not find the natural scent of hair to be smelly. But when I worked at a fast food place, those deep fryers would really smell up my hair!

I think that the smell-thing could easily be overcome by doing a CO (conditioner-only-wash). Of course, I'm only speaking from my own experience and my scalp doesn't get angry if any conditioner is left on it, while it does break out in hysterics at the slightest trace of shampoo remains.

If you're just talking about the faint scent that naturally comes from the scalp and hair, I think you could easily "overpower" it by using a scented oil or just a normal conditioner.

Many people on these boards never wash with shampoo. Some use different herbs, baking soda, soapnuts, etc, some CO, others WO (water only) and some NW/SO (no-water and sebum-only). I don't think those practices would find many followers if they resulted in badly smelling hair.

What it all comes down to, basically, is that you have to decide where your own comfort level is and go from there.

Since I don't know anything about seborrheic dermatitis, I can't give any advice on how to treat that. I do have eczema prone skin, though, and generally my skin is happier the less soap I use on it, as it dries out and irritates my skin. Could it be the same with seborrheic dermatitis? Just guessing here.
    Lady Anumati of the Moonlit Tresses
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    I'm not a complete idiot, - some parts are missing!

Type
    2a/C/iii

Thank you again Silverlox for your time spent replying. CO washing sounds good. With seb derm you often have to use strong shampoos like anti-dandruff or coal tar as it's something to do with fungus that feeds on scalp oil so I don't know if not using them would be okay but I can just try it and see!