Thread: weird/ugly hair wave on back of head...

Length
    9in./11in./waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default weird/ugly hair wave on back of head...

Hey everyone! I have lately become discouraged about an aspect of my hair and I was looking for some encouragement.

I was wondering if it was normal to have a strange wave on the back of your head. I get so frustrated as my hair dries and after it's dried because the sides look and wave great, but the back of my head has the ugliest wave formation, it looks like I had worn it in a tight ponytail all day in one place and to me it just looks awful.

I realize that it's hard to give advice/explain what it is without a picture, but I just don't know how to put one on this post, but I have a couple in my album that might help show what I'm talking about.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else struggled with that, if they did anything to even it out or make it wave better, and if, with time and hair growth, it will not look so bad because of the weight of hair. I know this is a weird question, but I don't know what to do or what to expect it to look like later.

Thank you so much everyone!
    Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair... -Susan Polis Shutz

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: weird/ugly hair wave on back of head...

Pictures would help, but from what you say and what I can see, it sounds like you are a wavy who is too short to see a full, nice wave pattern.

I'm sure it will work itself out when it gets longer

Here is my hair when it was very short:

And here it is now, the waves can now come out and play

Length
    9in./11in./waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

beautiful hair manderly! That's encouraging. Did you find that your hair needed more moisture? It's weird because sitting right here and feeling my hair, it feels soft, thin and clean, and it feels like it would be straight, but then in the mirror it's fluffy and with that crazy wave. hmm.
    Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair... -Susan Polis Shutz

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Oh yeah, curls and waves gobble up stuff.

The hair in the second pic is my hair today, freshly washed with a moisturizing chagrin valley poo bar, suave conditioner, followed by about a quarter sized glob of giovanni leave in and 5 drops of coconut oil. And it's a little on the poofy side, it could use another drop or two rubbed down it. It will calm down tomorrow.

Giving it as much moisture as it can take is the best thing I've done for it

Length
    buzz/38/dunno
    Type
    3a/F/ii

My hair looked like that when it was that length if I blow-dried it. In fact, when I was in high school my mom used to constantly tell me to blow dry it better (with the round brush stretching it out) to get out those "bumps." It used to also drive me bonkers when it would curl out on one side of my face and under on the other side.

More length will help, and so will moisture, as will letting your hair do its own thing (at least, that sure works for me -- no blow drying or any of that anymore).

Like manderly, I use a CV bar. I like the Honey Beer & Egg, though some people hate it. No oil or conditioner for me, just a strong ACV rinse. I live in a really humid place, which makes my hair even happier.

Just imagine the monster wavey ripply thing you're going to have when your hair gets longer!

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Great advice so far! And I agree, pics would help.

My hair does what it wants, including the kind of "bumps" you describe. I spent years trying to blowdry them out, even resorting to straightening with a curling iron.

Then I realized that more moisture, scrunching, plopping, less brushing, etc were all good .

In your case I would agree that more length will make your hair wavier. Leave-ins, plopping, even *light* oiling, will all help.

We seem to be "almost" hair twins - the way you describe your hair "it feels like it should be straight, but it isn't" sounds JUST like mine. It is a difficult hair type, but I do have good days, and the rest of the time I just enjoy the fact that it's getting longer and that I finally like my natural hair color.

good luck!

Katze
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I used to think I had straight hair that was just misbehaving. With more moisture it got wavier and wavier. The crown and sides can still be pretty straight, but I think you'll be happier with it as it gets longer and the waves really start to form.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You won't have to worry about that weird wave much longer. Length brings changes, so treat your hair well and keep growing it. My hair used to look very full and fluffy at your length. As it got long, it developed spiral curls. I had no idea that I'd get curls!

Length
    1/38/38

In white water rafting one can read the bottom of the river by the waves on the surface. Maybe your head is shaped like that?

JUST KIDDING!!

I am sure it will go away when your hair is longer. It will just be lovely wavey hair and you'll wonder what you were worried about.

Jim

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I get funny big waves on the back of my head, and they're not even symmetrical. You can see it in my sig pic, but there are more in my albums.

I agree, more length will help. But to some extent, they're rather normal in the 1c-ish range.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!