Thread: Holiday hair protection

Default Holiday hair protection

Hi Everyone!! I'm new here although I have been reading posts without registering for a while and learned some great tips. So now I have a question for you.
    I'm off to sunny Honduras for my holidays at the end of the month and I will be doing a lot of scuba diving and lazing in the sun so I was wondering if there is a natural way to protect my hair from sun/sea damage. Before I've always used a chemical hair sunscreen but now I've gone all natural I want to avoid this.
    Any advice please???

Length
    22/33/hip33
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I saw on an old thread that oiling your hair before swimming helps keep your hair from absorbing as much. I don't know what the sun might do to it though.
    Lady Kalulu of the Greenbower Dales in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I've heard of spray-on sunscreens for your hair, but I think that the best all-natural method of sun-protection is to wear a hat. I have a straw hat that I wear during the summer, because I spend a lot of time in the garden. It protects my hair and my face, and it looks cute with my sundresses too.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I can tell you this -- loading your hair up with oil and/or conditioner, then braiding it, is not enough to protect your hair from the effects of sun, pool water, or sea water. That is what I did on vacation last year, and my ends practically unraveled. I recently cut 3-4 inches because of it. I'd advise a swim cap and covering your hair with a hat or scarf.

Or plan on having to get the ends cut later on. That's probably what I will do in the future because the idea of a swim cap is really distasteful to me.