I remember seeing a thread like this on the old forum but have not been able to find a similar one on the new.

My hair in general is very fine; if you rub a single hair between finger and thumb you can barely feel it. It is also fairly straight. However, recently I have noticed that on the top of my head I am growing a lot of coarse, black, wavy hairs. None of these hairs are longer than about six inches, and when I pull them out they are fine at the root and become really coarse (like a thick piece of cotton) after about a couple of cm. My hair has never done this before and I have never noticed coarse hairs in the bulk of my length, only on the top of my head near the crown.

Why could this be happening, and is there anything I can do to change it? In my opinion, the coarse hairs look and feel strange, although you can't see them really. I don't want to pull them out because they comprise almost all of my new growth - but then again I would rather not have half my hair really coarse and half my hair silky fine!