Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chia seeds versus fenugreek seeds

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default chia seeds versus fenugreek seeds

i was just wondering if anyone had tried using chia seeds instead of fenugreek seeds for hair mixtures? chia seeds are very similar in that they too make a gel and seem to be moisturizing.
    anyone have any experience using them for anything hair related? i am expecting a big shipment of them soon and was thinking of trying them instead of fenugreek - for slip and ease of application and rinsing - of indian herbs.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Default Re: chia seeds versus fenugreek seeds

I never heard about Chia seeds and when you mentioned it I googled for them.. The European Community made new laws and according to that laws importing Chia Seeds to Europe is forbidden I have no clue why though...

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

well i don't know why either - the ones we get here are from mexico...

i have to say that i tried using them to make a conditioning gel - and had a very hard time getting the seeds out of my hair.

today i made an indian herb mix and it was too watery so i put a teaspoon of the ground seeds into it and it gelled up a little. hopefully i won't have the same problem getting the seed pieces out of my hair...

I think its because of the new novel food law.. They just need a new permisson to import it.. Maybe they need more tests or whatever - the EC can be very complicated with that

What I do with geling seeds like Fenugreek is..

1) ground them and add hot water to it to make a jelly paste and put that on the hair..

2) add hot water to the seeds, boil them and put it through a strainer

3) if i have a lot of time i put it in cold water and put it through a strainer the next day

My hair is pretty fizzy- i wouldnt wanna have to brush out the seeds after a treatment...

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

i think that chia seeds are way smaller than fenugreek seeds if i remember
    the ones i have are ground - and i couldn't believe all the trouble i had getting them out of my hair
    now i hope i haven't made a big mistake in including a teaspoon of them in my indian herbs this time - but my mix was way to runny and they did soak up some of the liquid
    just hope i will be able to get them out of my hair!!! i oiled my hair overnight first - and i had shikakai/chandan in my mix - maybe that will mitigate some of the stick to my hair factor...

i really need to get real fenugreek seeds next time - or just get used to using the mix runny...

Oh oh... I really hope you can get it out after your treatment! Its weird that it sticks harder than other seeds like Fenugreek.. I guess I dont need to be sad that I cant get a hold of that Chia seeds

What I really like as geling agent is Quince Seeds- the seeds are pretty big and you can strain it without problems- no residues of the seeds left after straining!

And algaes are also very good- like "Chondrus Chrispus" I think its also called Irish Moss..

Btw.. I always read that you should oil the hair before you take the Indian herbs.. Is it harmful for the hair if you wash em without oiling before?

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

i think that the oil helps with the conditioning and also if you leave the herbs in for a long time like i do - an hour or longer - 3 hours today... - it can dry out your hair

i have really never tried the indian herbs without first oiling overnight - but some people do use them as quick washes - i think you make them into a tea for that usage

the reason i used chia seeds is because i already have them. i love to eat them - i'm hoping that since i have a lot of other herbs in my mix that i won't have the same problem i did when trying just the ground up chia seeds

So you can eat them as a meal? Or like cornflakes? Sounds interesting!

Well I think I am too lazy to let it sit for several hours every time.. I rather prefer the quick wash method..

The other prob is that I have chemically bleached hair.. Some of the Indian herbs are darkening like Amla and others.. And I dont wanna turn brownhaired after a treatment..

How is the smell of Chandan? Do you have good smelling hair after your treatment? I have no idea how Shikakai smells.. but i bet Chandan smells lovely on the hair!

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

oh chandan is wonderful! i don't really care much for the smell of shikakai so i have been adding an equal amount of chandan - it gets expensive though - and i've only done it a couple of times - but the smell is to die for and it does linger in your hair! i've also started using the chandan for an exfoliant after the miracle whip facial method started creating clogged pores and zits for me - all that rubbing it think... i wet my face and take a fingertips worth of the chandan and rub it on my skin. it takes whatever dirt is on my skin off and also polishes my skin... then i rinse well with cool water and use a mix of jojoba and sandalwood oil. i was using castor oil and i loved it but recently i started to see what may be milia under my eyes - so i hope that the exfoliating and the jojoba oil will help it go away.

since i only wash my hair once a week i am enjoying the indian herbs. i used to use this washing method - with only shikakai since amla makes my hair feel weird - and i swear after every wash day that my bf would tell me my hair looked longer!!!

it is sort of a pain - and i don't know how long i will be able to keep it up - but for now i am enjoying making the mixes and oiling my hair and the smell of the chandan - because one of the reasons i quit before was that i thought that the shikakai smelled too harsh - but i love how silky and shiny it makes my hair.

now if i can only get the ground chia seeds out when i rinse it this time - i still have and hour and a half to go before rinsing - wish me luck!!!

EDIT: google chia seeds! it is amazing how good they are for you! i eat a tablespoon or more in my smoothies - you can't really taste them and they are very high in omega 3 fatty acids - like flax seed - but they don't go rancid so you don't have to refrigerate them and you can just eat them whole!
    Last edited by ratgirldjh; March 1st, 2009 at 03:29 PM.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Chia seeds?

As is cha-cha-cha chia? Chia pets? How interesting