Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stains in bathroom from hair dyes?

Length
    3"/24"/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Hmm. I'm renting too, and quite anxious to avoid staining my bathroom. My bathroom is also carpeted (dumb idea if you ask me, but no one did). I put down old towels all over the carpet and around the sink area prior to dying. I wear old and black clothes, and dye just a small portion of hair at a time. Finally, once that stuff is on, I don't leave the bathroom until after I've rinsed it out, which keeps the stainable square-footage down to just the bath. My fixtures are older, but the dye seems to wash right off of anything except a couple of caulk spots, which I just recaulked.
    September 11, 2001: Always Remember, Never Forget. God bless the heroes, victims and families.

The Serenity Prayer:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good.--Jan Karon

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

rubbing alcohol. dab a little on the spot with a cotton ball. takes out the dye every time.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Creature of the Night
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I rinse, rinse, rinse the tiles in the shower with lots of water the moment I've rinsed the dye out, and I've never had any discolouration in the 10 years I've been using permanent black dye. Any 'whoopsies' that get on the walls or floor during application come off with just a swipe with a damp cloth if you get to them right away, as well.

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

ok if you are using henna, it will stain textile and plastic, but not tiles, not even white ones So, watch out if you place a henna bowl on top of your white washing machine!

Length
    20/TB/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I've used shampoo on a washcloth to get dye stains out of white counter tops and linoleum with success. Recently I dyed a friend's hair red with that Feria Power Reds dye, I dripped a few times and wiped and it wouldn't come off. (That is some powerful stuff) So I grabbed an old washcloth and coated it in shampoo and scrubbed the stain, all of them came off pretty easily when scrubbed with the shampoo.
    Last edited by Kallisti; March 31st, 2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    short/clasc/term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I find baking soda is my best friend cleaning tubs and sinks, because it's nice and abrasive, but not so much it will damage the finish. It works really well mixed into a paste with whatever soap you're using. Definitely give it a shot before resorting to bleach and paint.

1c/2a/F/ii/iii -- trimmed the scraggly ends from knee back to classic.

back to the South, where my heart will always lie!
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

In my 10+ years of chemical dying (I only gave that up a few years ago, bad me!) plus a few experiments with henna, I have never stained any bathtub/shower surfaces. Old tile, new tile, plasticy basins, linoleum, metals, ceramics, none of that had a mark, but what DOES stain is counter tops and cabinets (look out for your vanity!). And if all else fails, there are some good posts here suggesting quick-fixes before your move-out!
    Lady Nynaeve ti al'Meara Mandragoran of the Rising Shadow in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Proud member of the Official Hair Idiots Club

Length
    bald/waist/term?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

At least you don't have carpet in your bathroom! I'm thinking about coloring my floor with a box of hair dye to hide the stains, at least until we redo the floor with tile.
    One thing you can do is to put several garbage bags covering your floor and an old towel over them to hold them in place. Another thing that works for me is to use the kitchen sink (stainless steel) to rinse out the dye and maybe to wash my hair in for a couple of days. I barely have to scrub then.

Length
    chin/Bsl/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I've made a ton of stains with hair dye, and 99.9% of them have come out with plain chlorine bleach. The only stains that wouldn't bleach out completely were on white grout, which wasn't a huge deal, imo, since grout is easy to repaint.
    *Lady Corylaceæ of the Heavenly Flora in the Order of the Long Haired Knights*

Length
    bsl/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Thank you all very much for sharing your experience and advice!!!

I am reasonably comforted since the risk of staining does not seem to be as big as I feared.

I am still wondering about the tiles which will end up in the floor of the shower since these have some kind of a roughened surface in order to prevent slipping. I don't know whether that makes them porous (surely putting tiles in a shower that would "suck up" anything intensively coloured must be a bad idea?). Well, we'll see, but I'll definitely be rinsing, rinsing, rinsing (unfortunately the kitchen sink is nor really an option - almost impossible to maneuvre your head under the faucet, plus the hot water supply is limited). I might also take on the idea of using pertolium jelly for "at risk" parts of the grout (I guess putting it on the shower floor tiles themselves wouldn't be such a great idea, since it might make them permanently ultra-slippery ).

And I will be covering up the rest of the floor and vanity surfaces and, just in case, will stock up on some rubbing alcohol and bleach (not to be used at the same time, I presume... ). But I very much like the idea of using shampoo first, before breaking out the hard stuff. It's such an obvious option, I really wonder why it never occurred to me - I must still be mentally compartmentalizing to much (cleaning agents here, hair care there).

So again, thank you very much everybody for helping me with my inquiry!

katharine