Thread: Infusing herbs and plants into oils

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Infusing herbs and plants into oils

So I asked another member here but I'm not entirely sure what the answer to this is.
    When you infuse oils with herbs and such, via cold infusion (letting it sit for a few weeks) are you supposed to leave it in the sun or the shade? Someone told me to leave it in a cool dry shady place, but then I've seen videos where people leave it on a windowsill.
    I have mine sitting in a windowsill at home right now.
    Also, what's the process of infusing rose petals into oil? I have some from this weekend I want to use.
    And last, how long do infused oils last? What's the shelf life for something that's been sitting for a few weeks already as it is?

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Infusing herbs and plants into oils

Make sure you always use dried herbs, any moisture in fresh will make your oils mold. When I cold infuse, I keep the oil on a shelf in the house out of sun. If I was going to hot infuse, I would use a water bath for a few hours. The few times I've tried using the sun, it made the oils smell weird.
    I've never had luck infusing rose petals. In fact, I just dumped a jar of weird smelling oil that had rose in it for the last couple weeks. Maybe it was the kind of rose I used, I don't know. I really need to harvest some wild rose petals and try again.
    I've kept infusions around for a year or more. If there is ever any weird smells or cloudiness, toss it.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Exactly what Obsidian said

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I did not notice a fragrance the time I tried to infuse oil with dried rose petals, and they smelled so good as petals!

Catnip infused coconut smells divine.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Make sure you always use dried herbs, any moisture in fresh will make your oils mold. When I cold infuse, I keep the oil on a shelf in the house out of sun. If I was going to hot infuse, I would use a water bath for a few hours. The few times I've tried using the sun, it made the oils smell weird.
    I've never had luck infusing rose petals. In fact, I just dumped a jar of weird smelling oil that had rose in it for the last couple weeks. Maybe it was the kind of rose I used, I don't know. I really need to harvest some wild rose petals and try again.
    I've kept infusions around for a year or more. If there is ever any weird smells or cloudiness, toss it.
    So I should dry the rose petals really well before I try to infuse? Got it! Thanks! I'm going to move the oils somewhere dark when I get home tomorrow then.

I know this is an older post but you can infuse herbs into oils in a crock pot as well. Put a washcloth in the bottom fill the crock about halfway with water and set a jar with the herbs and oils in the middle. Use the warm setting, or the lowest setting. Its an easy way to do it if you are going to be out of the house for awhile.

As others already stated, sunlight will destroy many of the benefits of the oils so its best to keep it in the dark, or warm it on the stove/crock pot.

I've never had luck infusing rose petals either, they always mold. I've tried completely dried, wilted and fresh. Never had a problem with anything else though.