Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Dye over Henna?

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Hair Dye over Henna?

I looked, but couldn't find a threat about this.

Has anyone ever dyed their hair over BAQ henna?

I'd like to grow out my henna, but it's going to take a long long time, and the henna'd hair is very red while my roots are more of a light brown.
    Lady Parvati, Messenger of Unity in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16"/26"/tail
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Hair Dye over Henna?

I've dyed my hair probably more than most. It would be accurate to say that for a time, I was addicted. There isn't much along the lines of hair coloring that I have not tried. I am fortunate to have *very* resilient hair. By all accounts I shouldn't even have hair anymore, lol. This being said, I can probably help if you are considering dye. I have dyed over henna a few times. My natural is also a light brown. What I would recommend to begin getting rid of the red is to go over with a light-medium ash brown. Use a more gentle brand like Natural Match. You will likely need to do at least two applications. Your best bet may be to go for light ash, and if you need it, light ash a week or more later, too light is easier to correct than too dark. The reason for "ash" is that you will be mixing whatever dye you choose with the red you already have. You need to think of it like mixing two colors to form the goal color. Henna red/orange mixed with an ash shade will result in reduced red. Non ash shades would render a more golden brown result. Sorry, this is very long. I hope it was helpful. I'd be happy to talk more about it if you like.

Length
    16"/26"/tail
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by myrrhmaiden View Post
    I've dyed my hair probably more than most. It would be accurate to say that for a time, I was addicted. There isn't much along the lines of hair coloring that I have not tried. I am fortunate to have *very* resilient hair. By all accounts I shouldn't even have hair anymore, lol. This being said, I can probably help if you are considering dye. I have dyed over henna a few times. My natural is also a light brown. What I would recommend to begin getting rid of the red is to go over with a light-medium ash brown. Use a more gentle brand like Natural Match. You will likely need to do at least two applications. Your best bet may be to go for light ash, and if you need it, light ash a week or more later, too light is easier to correct than too dark. The reason for "ash" is that you will be mixing whatever dye you choose with the red you already have. You need to think of it like mixing two colors to form the goal color. Henna red/orange mixed with an ash shade will result in reduced red. Non ash shades would render a more golden brown result. Sorry, this is very long. I hope it was helpful. I'd be happy to talk more about it if you like.
    ...also, have you considered trying a blend of henna with indigo? I'm no expert on that subject, but I have seen it around on the internets and it makes a brown, probably a beautiful one. I always thought that if I ever decide to get rid of the red, I would attempt it in just that way. Natural is always better in the end.

Length
    16"/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine69 View Post
    I looked, but couldn't find a threat about this.

Has anyone ever dyed their hair over BAQ henna?

I'd like to grow out my henna, but it's going to take a long long time, and the hennaed hair is very red while my roots are more of a light brown.
    I don't know of any threats about dying over henna....

I think someone said they use red demi permanent dye on their roots as they are growing out henna,I cant remember who it was though.

I've done some tests on previously hennaed hair from my brush and hair dye didnt seem to cause any issues. You could try buying some cheap dye and testing it on some shed hair.

I'm also growing out henna (mixed with cassia) and my hair is blond. I only have an inch of natural color so far but its an interesting look for sure. I'm hoping it will look better when the roots get longer...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Length
    16"/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

wait are you trying to dye all your hair to match your roots or trying to find some temporary way to blend your roots into your henna?

The dye I used didnt effect the color at all. I tried permanent dark ash blond, light ash blond and medium ash brown, the hair color never really changed that I could see. How dark is your henna? I was testing on hair that was something like 75% cassia and 25% henna (sig picture)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I decided to let let my henna grow out as well a couple of months ago. I went to a hair dresser to assist me in covering the roots as I was nervous about dying over Henna. I wanted to stay reddish copper. He was able to match my roots with the Henna by mixing L'oreal #5 and #6. It looked great and I've had no problems mixing chemical and Henna. 2 weeks ago he added bright bright red highlights of L'Oreal Maji. It is a lift and deposit in one step with NO bleach. My hair looks wonderful and still feels ok. I just got compliments on my hair color tonight at a the place we were eating at. So in my experience, I've had no problems. But as my hair dresser said, even though I can't feel or see any damage with the chemicals... there has been some done...

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Thanks for the input, everyone. Ideally, I would like to color my henna so that it blends in with the naturally color that's growing in. I already have almost 3 inches of roots. Now that the roots are longer it doesn't look as bad as it did at first, but I still don't really like the two-tone effect. I'll take all your suggestions to heart.

Originally I used the henna because my hair had become too light from highlighting it and I wanted something different. Unfortunately the henna really built up on my hair, after just a few applications. So my hair lower on my head has that burgundy color, and the lighter/finer previously highlighted hairs towards my face and crown are more red. Now I just don't want to worry about dying or henna-ing or roots or any of it. I want easy hair.
    Lady Parvati, Messenger of Unity in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

My profile photo is Natural Instincts (semi perm) brown dye over old henna. And my avatar is dark brown hairdye over the henna.

You can see color differences in the sun, it still glints orange.

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've been thinking about this, too. I've only got about one inch of roots, though. I hope you'll post your results, because I am curious as to how it works. (I also have light brown hair that's been henna'd.) I'm thinking of going with the semi-permanent dyes, myself.
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Well, if you're going for brown, you can always dye over the henna. I'd suggest using ash brown, rather than a reddish brown, so as not to add any more red to it than there already is. If you want to go to a really light brown or dark blonde, and aren't in too much of a hurry, you could try lightening it up a bit first before dying it. Nightshade did that with sun-in, I did it with diluted 30vol. I would think that if you lightened it then dyed it, you'd get a nice tawny color to grow out.